chin lying on her sid

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every now and then I'll catch my chinchilla lying on her side. It worries me because a lot of what I've read said thats a sign of heat stroke. But the temperature in my room is usually 68-70 and never has gotten above 72 degrees. Is this simply normal chin behavior?

As with any other animal on the planet chinchillas are individuals and are comfortable in their own manner. If she's acting normal otherwise, breathing normally, eating normally, pottying normally then no worries. Likewise, does she respond to you when you approach her while she's side laying?

Our chins love to lay on their side on their marble slabs, and for no reason. It's pretty much the cutest thing ever. I caught Spunky on his back the other day dead asleep :p

- Aaron

Maggie sleeps on her shelf on her side with all four paws sticking out of the cage. Its so cute :)

Let me show you how my Sabi does her sexy bikini model pose... I happen to be able to catch it really quick but she usually doesn't let me take pics easily. She has a lot of wierd poses and sleeping postures. Her most famous is sleeping standing up with her hands folded..

I know, I need a much better camera. :)

IMG_0607.jpg

Khammy: LOL bikini pose! Love the picture!!

My chin loves to sleep standing up with her arms folded in, so far that you can't even see them under all her fur! Wish I could get a picture of it, but the lighting is so bad where he cage is, you wouldn't be able to see it grr!

She also sleeps on her side once and a while, it shows she's comfortable (at least with my chin). If she's responsive to you when you go near her, I wouldn't worry much!

i frequently catch my chilla gummi flopped over dead asleep in what i call her "road kill pose" she honestly looks like a dead animal on the highway when she sleeps like that. she also likes to sleep hanging partially off a ledge. basicaly only her butt is on the ledge. though in that postiton after a a while she usualy slides off the ledge and wakes up confused when she lands on the lower ledge

i frequently catch my chilla gummi flopped over dead asleep in what i call her "road kill pose" she honestly looks like a dead animal on the highway when she sleeps like that. she also likes to sleep hanging partially off a ledge. basicaly only her butt is on the ledge. though in that postiton after a a while she usualy slides off the ledge and wakes up confused when she lands on the lower ledge

LOL Around here, we call that playing dead. We actually had a male that we taught to do it on command.

Zipper sleeps with his hands folded and standing up. Altair and Ezio sleep together if they're both sleepy. If Ezio is awake, Altair will lay on his side and put is one leg out (he's an amputee) then put his arms up up and lay on them.

Now imagine a heavily pregnant girl doing the same thing as in the picture above. I don't know how she did it. It looked extremely uncomfortable to me, but that is how she liked to sleep during the last 1/2 of her pregnancy.

I catch Tigger doing that sometimes as well, the very first times I freaked out thinking something was wrong, but everything else was normal, normal eating/drinking etc....and it wasn't hot either. Every once and I awhile I see it and for a split second I worry but then realize he's just sleeping and he's just comfortable that way lol.

Back