Chin losing weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knitdragon

Hello all, hoping for some advice. :)

I adopted my male chin Henry about a year and a half ago from craigslist. I got him a larger cage (about double from his old super pet), switched him from kaytee with fruits/nuts to oxbow deluxe and am basically spoiling him rotten. I have noticed over the time I had him he went from 650 grams (May of 13) to 584 (yesterday). He also spends a couple of hours a day out of his cage (I did mention spoiled didn't I?) Is this weight loss normal? He eats and poops regularly and the only treat he gets is oat groat. I had him checked out by a vet when I first got him but don't want to subject him to the stress again if I don't have to.

thank you!! and sorry for the lengthy post. :)

Well, since Kaytee is a lower quality food and I think is high in fat, switching to a higher quality food would do that. I would maybe check it again in a few days, but I'm sure he's fine. :)

Switching to a lower fat/calorie food could hav caused the weight loss. I would weigh him weekly and see if there is a continues loss.

I agree the food switch is probably the weight loss cause, but extra exercise outside the cage also will cause weight loss if he didn't have that before. Like Brea said I would weigh him and see if he maintains around the same weight, if so he is likely fine.

it sound like your boy is leaner and healthier. It still seems like a healthy range. Some people like to weigh their chins daily to track weight- if you're concerned that may be better than comparing last year's to this year, especially since he wasn't used to a healthy diet yet then.

Back