chin laying down but ears are not red!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
i dont whether or not hes having a heatstroke its upsetting me and now im watching him constantly just incase anything happens, he was laying down and i rushed to get him and brought him downstairs where its cooler

How hot is it? I see you're in New York so unless you're heating your house more than normal in the winter I'm guessing it's not heat stroke. Lots of chins lay down, many of them lay on their side when they are sleeping. A chin that is very hot will have pink or red ears provided they are a color whose ears can get red--an ebony chin or a mosaic with dark ears you are not going to see.

Most likely this is NOT an emergency. Keep an ear on your chin and make sure he is eating, drinking pooping. If he seems very lethargic this is a sign of something serious in a chin and needs a vet.

Was he just laying on his side? I used to panic when I saw my chins lay flat because they usually slept all bunched up on their back legs, but sometimes they just sleep differently irregardless of the temperature.

hey may have just been super content and comfy!! just keep an eye on him sounds like just a case of a nervous daddy! ;)

When i changed the shelves in my chins cage they both started lying down, the first time i saw them i was in a big panic but when i was reading up i read they often lie down when they are happy and comfortable. So its probably nothing to worry about :D

I have a beige that sprawls out on his side with his nose out the bars every night after he eats his hay without fail. It flipped me the heck out the first night he did it, but it's just part of his routine. Nothing to panic about unless he's showing other signs of distress.

Back