Chin Jumping ~ How high is to high to jump from?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Our little guys can safely jump from one level of the FN cage to the other (ramps are now out), but how high is too dangerous for them? (jumping down)

Their play room has tile floors (see our sig), and they seems to want to jump out from an upper level of the cage or sometimes from our shoulder.

Maybe we are paranoid, because they have no claws to grip, so we feel worried that they will slip and fall.

Sometimes chili will try to jump INTO his cage, which he does with no issues, but he sometimes tries to jump into a closed door. :wacko: (its closed because he tries to jump off the shelfs.)

Whats a safe hight to allow them to jump from?

So they are jumping from the cage onto you? In the FN itself, most jump heights are safe though accidents can happen. I think just recently there was a thread about a chin in an FN who slipped and broke his neck. As far as having your chins jump onto you from their cage, I personally think it's a bad idea especially with a tile floor because if their is a slip and the chin loses control, I'd think a neck or back break could easily happen.

They naturally jump to about six feet and I've seen them ricochet about 8 feet. Had them get on light fixtures(!) and very high shelves.

The catch is wether or not he is used to the jumping. If he jumps all the time, he's conditioned for it. If he is sedentary and has a single level cage and jumps six feet he's going to break something. Same rules for athletic humans apply to chins and other critters. :))

Back