Chin is bleeding, help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zelda lost her fight today :(

She really began to go downhill fast in the last 24 hours. Stopped eating, stopped drinking on her own. She started fighting me really hard during syringe feedings, but I kept trying to get as much CC down her as possible. It got to the point where I would squirt some CC into her mouth and she wouldn't even chew it. She started getting weaker and weaker and just wanted to be held it seemed. I made an appointment to see the vet. I had to see a different person on staff because my usual vet was sick and had to go home early today. I came in crying already because on the drive there I could tell things weren't looking good. She would just lay in her cage and keep her eyes closed while I talked to her. Her bleeding started up again too. It was nearly gone for the last two days and started again today.

The vet examined her. When he picked her up she didn't even squirm, but lay in his hand like a ragdoll :( He took a sample of the blood to examine. It turns out she wasn't bleeding from her bottom, but it was in her urine. The sample showed crystals which indicated a possible kidney problem. She was so frail at this point and her weight hand continued to drop in the last day. She was not breathing well either. You could tell the vet was trying to think of any other alternative treatment, but didn't see her surviving at this point. It would not have been humane to make her keep going. You could just tell by looking at her that she was giving up. Her poor body was just shutting down. I had to make the tough decision to put her to sleep :( My mom came to support me.

While I waited for her to arrive, I held Zelda in my arms and pet her gently, telling her what a good chinnie she had been. She started convulsing shortly before they came in to give her the shot, more evidence that I knew this was the right choice and that she would not have survived any further treatment. I did everything I could to help her. My little chinnie is no longer suffering, she was a very good girl and brought much joy. Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum and offered encouragement and support along the way.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Asha - Zelda is in a better place and you did all you knew how to help her. Bless you.

RIP. Zelda knows you love her. She is now playing with other chins in the chinny heaven.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your beloved Zelda will always be in your heart and please know you did everything you could for her.

Thinking of you.

Thank you all. I really appreciate the kind words and support. I miss her alot already :( I think the hardest part about it was that she was so young, only one year old. Her birthday was on the 20th.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. :( It sounded like you were doing everything you could for her and I am so disappointed this ended tragically for you. May Zelda r.i.p.

Latest posts

Back