Chin introductions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jsbates65

I'm sure this is covered somewhere here already, but I couldn't find it. I have a 6 month old chin who I've had for about 3 weeks now. He is still a bit shy, but really coming around. I was considering going back to the same breeder for another, but don't know how easy they are to introduce. any tips, advice?

Well, to start, I think your chinnie should have a little more time to settle in and get more comfortable with you...I think introducing him/her to another chin plus trying to adjust to a new environment may be too stressful. However, to answer your question about introductions...you want to start slow and not rush it, you have to be very patient. This is the way I did my intros: First I put both chins in the same room, in separate cages of course for about 2 weeks to let them get used to the presence of the other chin. Then I moved their cages side-by-side with about 3 inches between the cages (far enough that they can't reach each other to fight). I did this for about a month. At first there was kacking back & forth, biting at the bars and other agressive behavior, then again, I've done intros where the two chins would lay on the side of the cage closest to the other with no aggression, so it can go either way. Then I would switch their cages...put chin A in chin B's cage and chin B in chin A's cage. I would do this a couple of times over a week or two and leave them in the other's cage for a day or two (this is so they get used to each other's scent)

Now, to the BIG part...you'll want to put them together in a small neutral play area (like the bathroom) so if they fight you can quickly break it up. I put NEW chew toys, the dust bath and a couple of cardboard boxes for them to play with...just to keep them busy. I also kept a bath towel on hand so that if they started to fight I could throw it over them...for some reason tossing a towel over them makes them stop and stand completely still...did for me anyway. Put them together and see how they do. Expect them to chase each other and try humping each other...they are just trying to establish dominance. They may also kack at each other. Mine would stand up on their back legs and kack at the other. If there is ANY aggression, break them up and separate them...wait a week or two and try again. You'll only want to put them together for about 15 minutes or so. If the first attempt is successful, do it again. I let mine play each day for 15 minutes, then gradually increased the time they were together, supervising the whole time. After about 2 weeks of successful playtimes I put them in the same cage together for a few hours each day for about a week. It's best to thoroughly clean whatever cage they will live in together and rearrange shelves, hidey houses, etc...this makes it a neutral home for them.

If there is any aggression during introduction you can trim their whiskers, put a small dab of vanilla just above their noses, give them a dust bath BEFORE putting them together. There is also another introduction method called the SMOOSH METHOD. It is where you put both chins in a VERY small cage, small enough that they cannot move around. Some people take them for a car ride while doing this. It not only distracts them, but allows them to comfort each other on the ride. I've heard alot of success stories in using this method, but it did not work for me.

You have to understand that not all chins will get along. Some chins are better off living alone, some can play together but not live together. If the first intro doesn't work give them some time and try again, but you definitely don't want to rush it. I hope this helps and please ask if you have any more questions...GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

thanks

i appreciate the detailed info. my instinct was to wait a bit longer until i bond with him more.
i guess another question would be. . .will a single chin be happy. i currently spend about an hour a night with him and he's in a room where he can watch other pets, tv, etc. . .and he's got a huge cage with lots of levels and toys.

i am considering getting a 2nd only because i wonder if he will ultimately be happier and healthier with a cagemate. . .but i get the sense that chins can be happy alone. what do you guys think?

I think some are happier alone and some happier with a cagemate(s)...it all depends on the chin. I'm so bad that I'll leave the TV on for them if I'm not home LOL. Anyway, I have two pairs that live together and two that live alone. They play ok together (with the exception of my bully boy Gideon) but there's no way they could all live together.

I think if he has plenty of things to keep him busy in his cage and you are devoting an hour each night to him, he should be fine. But I'll be the first to say 1 chin leads to 2, which leads to a 3rd and a 4th and a....well, you get my drift LOL.

I think chins are perfectly content by themselves. I have two that live by themselves and two that live together. All 4 are perfectly content whether they have a friend or if they live by themselves.

Because even if you do get another, they may not like each other. It's just the risk everyone takes. Only 2 of mine get along. So you have to ask yourself if you're prepared to always have two cages incase they don't get along.

also remember that if you do get a second chin, you have to quarantine it for a month before having it in the same room as the first chin

seems like every thing has been covered pretty thorough just wanted to say that Tika is my little girl and lives alone. Although, she is in my bedroom, so i would say on an average school day i am in there from 3pm till 2am off and on before i go to sleep so she usually plenty of company. She is very happy and also i think is happy to see me when i get home so it works out nice. Like the others said they can be happy alone so i wouldn't worry that you HAVE to get another... but it happens!

Id like to ask about the quarantine part..

What are the specifics of this?? I just lost a chin this weekend and well, Im defintely going to be getting another one. The one I lost this weekend I got about two years ago, I was dumb and didnt do any homework, and brought her right home and set her cage up next to my 3 year old chins cage. I got lucky and everything went ok (except of course they didnt start to accept each other and get along until just VERY recently and sadly they never got to be cage mates).

My chin's cage is in the living room where she hangs out with us.
Would I just move my other cage say to our bedroom and leave the new one in there for a month and then bring her out???

I remember commenting over at myspace's old chin groups when I got the new one 2 years ago and everyone there bit my head off telling me I needed to keep them apart for SIX months.. I thought 6 sounded a bit ridiculous though..

Man lemme just tell you, when you put them together and see them hissing at each other like angry cats, its quite a shock coming from these cute little devils hehehe. Mine actually tried peeing on one another the first time I put them together. Oh and be CAREFUL if you decide to stick your hands in between them while fighting.. I got left with a nice and clean straight puncture right through my fingertip when I grabbed my new girl to break them up..

Last edited:
Yes, you would want to quarantine for a month to give your new chin time to adjust to your house. It prevents them from stressing out too much and allows them time to bond to you.
Also, if they happen to have any illness, it would present itself in that month and you wouldn't have to deal with the illness being transferred to your existing chins.
And another reason is that chins digest with bacteria which live in their gut. By having them in a separate area it allows these bacteria to gradually get used to anything in your house that it might be exposed to.
Also, for this quarantine time, you would need to do playtime in a separate area also. And don't handle one chin and then go handle the other, as that would make the quarantine useless. Make sure and wash your hands and wear different clothes if possible.

Gotcha!! Cool like I said I got reeeeeeeeeeally lucky last time just bringing the new one home and putting them together so this next one Im going to do it right!

After I read about quarantining em and about the different herds need to get used to the others bacteria I about freaked but realized it was already too late.. Sat there and watched em both like hawks but luckily nothing bad ever came from it..

Latest posts

Back