Chin introduction - am I being overprotective?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BookWorm

I've read extensively about introductions online, but never having conducted one before, I am not sure if my chins are not compatible or if I'm just not allowing them to have time to work things out. I have had them in their own cages - each a FN double, for over a month now and let them see one another during playtimes. The negative is that our younger chin (Dru), the first one we had, spends all her time pursuing the newer chin (Bea) and fluctuating between dominance-mounting her and bouncing away as though she's afraid Bea will swipe her. I haven't had any blood and I don't want to get to that point, but Bea seems stressed out after these sessions.
I have read some conflicting information on this. Some say that unless they're biting and spraying one another, there's still a chance, others say that persistent dominance mounting and pursuit can be signs of non-compatibility. I'm keeping them separate for now, but I would really like to be able to house them together (for one, it would take less space) for their own well-being. Poor Dru spends most of her day standing guard, even though she's bonded well with me and Bea seems to have night terrors, since she often alarm calls in her sleep. I would like to think that they would benefit from each other, one to calm the other.
I guess the point is, should I persist in trying to get them to like one another, or should I just resign myself to two sad chins in separate cages?
Also, even if they don't get along with one another, is there still a chance that Dru would get along with different chins, or is she a lost cause?

I have had chins do the dominance mounting thing for a couple of days and then get over it without any real issues... If Dru and Bea are still being housed seperately it is possible that Dru got used to being an only chin... Did you try to introduce them when you first brought Bea home??? I would watch to see how bad it gets...but if it is just dominance mounting that sometimes just takes a little while to subside once they figure out who is going to "rule the roost"...

I did house them together for a short while after introducing them, but Bea seemed so stressed, I took them back apart. I was also worried that if I gave her a bad roommate she would never bond to me. She seems to like me now (finally let me give her chin scratches a few days ago), so I figured I might try again. They know one another and me now, so I hope they can get along.

Latest posts

Back