chin herder :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perabalaofmystery

so my cat who is best friends with my chins has aquired a new job
he has taken it on himself to be a chin herder.
every time they get out to play my kitty stands guard and makes sure they dont get into trouble. and if one escapes the play area he leads her back to me. its really adorable. they chins have taken to it as well i swear they think of it as a game.
on another note my chins also love to offer my cat hay and their toys.
does anyone elses pets/chins do silly things like that?

i have read that thread. generaly i agree with it though though contrary to its advice i trust my cat with my chins. he has never done anything but herd and sniff/attempt to clean them. i would never leave him alone/unsupervised with them but i allow him to be in the same room with them. he has never laid a paw on them.
its a personal choice of mine.
others might not agree with it but its the way i do things.
if i were to get another animal i likely wouldnt let them near my chins but for me my cat is an exception.

Even if your cat doesn't attack the chins, cats can pass diseases onto chins which can kill them. Please keep your cat away from your chins if you want to avoid having problems...aside from disease, even the most trustworthy animal can give into instinct and it only takes one swipe to kill a chin.

I'd never let any animal and chins play together. The risk of injury and illness is just too high. Why tempt fate?

I guess you could do it because you enjoy watching it, but I'd rather be 100% sure I am keeping my chins safe. I'd be so upset if anything I did caused them harm.

You may think your chin enjoys it, but as they can't talk... your chins may very well be afraid of your cat, which is why they go away from her and back to your play area.

I personally would never allow my dog anywhere near the chins in an open area. She can go around their cages, but if a chin's out, she's nowhere to be found. She wouldn't hurt a fly, but she's playful, and a playful paw could easily injure a chin. Same with the cat - you can watch her like a hawk - but tell me - if she was to stick a paw out towards the chin, would you be quick enough to grab that paw in mid-air before it hit the chin? I would go with better safe than sorry. That, and cats carry a bacteria that's harmful to chins, so that would be another reason, as well, to keep the two separate.

Perabala of Mystery, I am so happy to hear you say that. We've had multiple members on here in the past who are too stubborn to listen to advice on letting chins play with other animals, only to see them post eventually about an accident caused by just that. It's so heartbreaking.

Welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! Being a chin owner can be overwhelming at times because there's so much mixed information on the internet (and even in books AND with veterinarians), but I assure you this web site is the most trustworthy source!

Latest posts

Back