chin has no droppings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elsa_k

I left my chin with this girl who had 3 other chins and left for Vacation.
Now that I am back my chin is super sick.
he wont eat, has no droppings and lethargic.

Took him to emergency right away and the vet checked out his teeth and took his vitals. His stomach made no digestion sounds so she gave me critical care and some medication to make his stomach move.

I have been syringe feeding him and giving his medication every 8 hour. However, still no droppings.
He keeps grinding his teeth together and sitting in his cage.

I don't know what that horrible sitter did to him.

what should I do? is it blockage? is he going to survive.

please say anything you know is safe and will help.

btw: my chin is 4 years old and is a boy.

There is no way to know or not if your chin will survive. Personally I would be feeding him much more often that every 8 hours. How much critical care did the vet tell you to feed him? Belly massages usually help to produce droppings, have you been doing belly massages for him--what about playtime, has he been out to try to hop around to produce any droppings? Is he still lethargic?

He needs food way more frequently than every 8 hours. I treat sick chinchillas like I do a kit being handfed, every 2-3 hours

Hi everyone

thank you for your replies.
I have been feeding him every 2-3 hours the critical care that the vet gave me. His medication Citapride is the one i give every 8 hours.
Still no droppings.
He had 2-3 very tiny, hard droppings.
I don't know how to massage his tummy, as he keeps trying to run out.

He does eat a syringe or two full of food but the no droppings is really freaking me out. I can't stop crying.

has this happened to anyone? did their chin recover?

If he is grinding his teeth, he is probably in pain. The gas build up from stasis can be quite painful so pain meds should have been given along with the motility drugs as well. He will need to get at least 60 cc's of Critical Care into him daily in divided doses spread anywhere between 2-4 hours apart depending on how sick he is, you can build up to 100-120 cc's if he isn't eating anything else and losing weight on the 60. It is helpful to have him on light colored fleece to monitor his poos rather than on shavings. Hope he is getting better.

You can mix a small amount of unsweetened, preferably organic, canned pumpkin (not pumpkin filling) with critical care. Pumpkin helps relieve constipation; it softens the stool and promotes it's passage. I'd also give loose (not cubed) alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is a gentle laxative; good amount of magnesium helps relieve constipation by drawing water into intestine and relaxing irritated intestinal walls.

Are you using gas drops (you can find baby gas drops at your local pharmacy)? You can give a full dropper every few hours.

Administer gentle abdominal massage (circular downwards motion towards the anus) several times a day. It helps reduce colic and it also helps stimulate peristalsis. Exercise is also beneficial as it stimulates the peristaltic action of the colon.

I hope your chin gets well soon.

OMG he pooped. Soooo happy. Never thought id cry of happiness for soleone pooping. Thank you everyone. Bless you. Omg

hopefully he'll continue to increase the number of poops, as we all know how much they do poop, and will continue to get better for you. I agree with above, keep up the same routine. I'm so sorry he wasn't cared for better while you were gone :(

Oh no he is still on CC and i keep giving the cisapride.

the droppings are not great or super normal but at least i know he's ok. I no longer have to hold him, as he just sits infront of me and eats his meds and cc.

the emergency recommended that I follow up with a doctor but the only one in Vancouver area is the one that i have had a very bad experience with my guinea pig and under no condition i want to go back there.

Do you think he will be ok if i just watch him and keep nursing him or do i have to go to see a doctor?
he has been running around and looks happier.

If you see continued pooping and signs of improvement, there is probably no reason to take him back to the vet (especially one you don't trust). If the teeth grinding continues and he seems uncomfortable however, he may need to go to the vet for pain meds.

I just wanted to mention that getting enough fluids helps keep things moving along as well. Definitely feeding CC is helping with the water comsumption. I had a chin who stopped pooping and the vet gave him subcutaneous fluids (twice) and it was so helpful in getting things moving again.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, keep up the good work.

that's great to hear! i went through a no-pooping dilemma with one of my chins a couple years ago and it's very stressful. keep up the critical care EVEN AFTER everything has returned to normal, they can suddenly slip back in the woods when you least expect it. it sounds like you and your chin are headed in the right direction to recovery!

Back