Chin got stepped on

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zukuro

a few nights ago while at play time my Bunky was sitting by me in the hall and my mother walked back to get a laundry basket and he ran out under her feet and he got stepped on, not fully though since my mom was watching for him but still he cried out and ran back behind me, i was so afraid to pick him up but I scooped him up to my ear and listened to him he didn't sound any different nor did I feel anything broken his teeth are fine and his poo looks normal no blood no change other then the initial panic of getting stepped on but today I noticed he seems off sometimes. like he will be fine and then suddenly his head bobbles if I pick him up. I'm very worried this could be result of getting stepped on. my mother was so upset i don't want to say anything just yet I know it would make her feel terrible, she loves Bunky just as much as I do. I can probably afford to take him tot he vet but if he needs medicine or a large test I won't be able to provide it.

is there any way to tell if this is something serious or something I just monitor?

I'm really stuck here....

Find an exotic vet that takes Care Credit. http://www.carecredit.com/ (See the search box on the right hand side), pay for the initial visit and find out if anything is actually wrong, and then go from there. If there is something wrong and you do nothing now, you'll regret it later. If there's nothing wrong, then you've bought yourself some peace of mind and it'll have been well worth it.

They only way to know for sure if he is okay is to take him to the vet for xrays. Chins are very good at masking their pain and illness as they are prey animals. What this means is if they show signs of weakness in the wild they will be snatched immediately by prey such as big cats and hawks or falcons.
They appear much bigger than they are because of their fur. Their bones are small and fragile.
The head bobble could mean something is wrong with his sense of balance or a head injury.
They best thing to do for your chin is a doctor's appointment.

I agree. The only way to know for sure is to get him to a vet that knows what they are doing. Good luck with him.

I just called my manager (I work at a petsmart out here) she says I get a discount at the Banfield. (the vet clinics that are in some stores) and I know there is a good exotics vet in the store further up the road. so I will cal and make him an appointment.

that care credit thing interests me though, I will have to look into it.

I hate not being able to just rush him out and be able to pay for anything he needs I try to spoil him with a big cage and plenty of apple twigs and love

thank you all though, i was really hopping that he wouldn't have to go but the more i think about it the worse I feel head bobbling is usually never a good thing. I also keep many birds so I know how well they can hide being ill or hurt.
i'll be holding my breath >.<

With chins being stepped on you have to be careful of inflammation. If there is inflammation in the muscle area it could cause harm to the nerves (correct me if im wrong) And immediate visit to the vet is needed to provide treatment to reduce the swelling.

You and your mom -- well, EVERYONE in your family -- should learn and master what we here at CnH like to call "The Chinnie Shuffle".

The rule is, if any chins are out loose for playtime, you must never WALK, but SHUFFLE your feet along the floor if you need to get anywhere in the area. This keeps your feet from ever being up off the floor and in a position to land on your chinnies. :thumbsup:

I hope your baby will be OK...

Please let us know how your he is, best wishes for Bunky.

hello all! update on teh bunkers, they couldn't find anything wrong with him other then the fact he's a little...fat LOL I guess my mum really didn't step on him to bad. she said she only bopped him and didn't put her full weight down on him but we don't take chances, a few years ago my father stepped on my quaker parrot and he was in a vetrinary hospital for 3 days. so I know how bad getting stepped on can be. but he's doing very well now, he eats his cheerios just as happily as ever and he bounces just like he used to and no more head wobbling, it may have been me overreacting and spotting problems that weren't there 'cause I was so afraid but I'm glad i found out. thank you all so much for your support and helpful information I'll be practicing that chin shuffle indefinitely!

bunky has also been successfully introduced to his cage mate Xavier and they cuddle in their wood hut and sometimes Xavier will even bring him toys after hes chewed them XDDD

I'm so glad that Bunky is alright! The news had surely relieved you and your mum!

great news - by the way, there really isn't such thing as a 'fat chin' Most vets are not used to chins that have good weights

Actually, not entirely true. I have one male who is a pellet gorger. He actually got hugely fat, so he wouldn't do normal chin things, like run on the wheel, or play. He just laid around. My vet did all kinds of bloodwork to find out why. Everything was normal. I put him on a diet, half the normal pellet ration I give everyone else, unlimited hay, of course. He dropped 200 grams over a couple of months and is back to being a normal chinchilla. :dance3:

But I do agree, most vets are not used to what a healthy chinchilla looks like, so your boy is probably pleasantly chunky, just the way he should be!

Wonderful news! Feel lucky and practice that chinnie shuffle!

Latest posts

Back