Chin from old cage to new cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarie9288

How should I go about introducing him to his new cage? His old one is small it was the kind that is basically a rabbit cage with two Ramps (it's what his at the time owner gave him to me in) I've been searching for months on getting him the right cage and got it today. It is handmade out of nontoxic wood and A LOT more room for him it's about 5'4". I want him to get use to it on his own time and terms but is there anything I can do to make it less stressful for him? I just have both cage doors open for him right now where I keep him (spare bedroom)

The best thing to do is put any old stuff into the new cage so his scent is in the new cage. You can replace the old items later. When I've changed cages though I just changed cages, the sooner he gets into the new one the faster he'll get his scent in it and feel at home.

I switched my chinchilla out of her cage 3 times! She was in a small bunny cage one too with only a hide out, water, and hay. Once I put her in the big cage she was hopping around all crazy you could tell she was extremely excited for all the room she had, unfourtunately she ended up being too small and could squeeze through the bars, I put her back in the smaller cage and I could tell she could not stand it! she was in it again for about 2 more weeks until I got another huge cage, and same thing hopped around all crazy with excitement.

Maybe switch you chinchilla close to evening time, when he/she is more awake so you can see the reaction. I'm assuming the bigger the cage they more they love it!

Latest posts

Back