Chin dropped off at rescue -- owner wants back when he gets back on feet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I wish you luck on that of all Ashley. Lot of times people run the emo card in the beginning but give it time they will just move on.
Remember Mia-Mia the 2 day old chin that was surrendered to me? Well I gave the lady the option of taking her back, no adoption/rehoming fee required when Mia-Mia is ready. She was so happy and she stayed in contact for the 1st week only. Hand fed the poor baby with the help of the foster chin lend to me. I would still update her once a week on Mia-Mia's progress and all she can talk about is sick she is, barely asked about Mia-Mia. In the end when Mia-Mia had the rectum prolapse and had to put her down and her cremation cost. Never once did the woman offered to help the fees I paid nor asked for a bit of her ashes. I personally don't care because I can handle it on my own.
I just brought it up so it shows how much they care over time no matter the emo. If she takes you to court, the beginning of the email prior to her surrender of the chin clearly states she is surrendering the chin. That itself is proof. It wasn't till after your friend picked her up on she decide she may want the chin back. That's too late. So don't worry too much about it.

Since it was brought up, as for the letter, “stipulating your conditions like if in the event you show her she is yours, if she doesn't sign the form and return it to you then she is subject to a boarding fee etc”

I’m inclined to have no more contact with these people, rather than open up a second can of worms. But let me explain why. As they haven’t completed the forms before, I see no reason for them to do so now. Certified letter or not. Therefore, with them not returning the forms, that would result, according to this idea, with me boarding the chin. Wait... that is a situation I refuse to get in. I do not board other people’s critters here.

So without the boarding option, my letter would be "please fill out the forms surrendering the chin. If you do not fill out and return those forms, I will assume the chin has been surrendered." Same result either way.

But here's the problem I see with sending/emailing ANYTHING at this point. Sending them the forms again could very well give them the idea that the chin is still theirs, and could start up all this again about how they'll pay for food, treats, etc for unknown-amount-of-time and so on and get them talking again about how they want to get her and all that.... No.

I've had time to think about this, and take in all the varying opinions, and I've come to the conclusion that she was brought here as the direct result of them emailing me saying they could no longer care for her properly or spend time with her. To me, that's a return, forms or no forms. The fact that they said they "may" want to get her back -- I still think "may" is an awfully floppy word, because there's nothing definite.

If they want to sue me, they can go right ahead. They're the ones that started this mess in the first place. I'm an associate attorney at a small law firm, I think I can manage small claims court if it comes to it. I do have their emails showing they wanted us to take the chin back in... which we did. Period. End of story.

Back