Chin digging in his pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveMyBuddy

I have a 4 1/2 month old chin and It seems he has taken a liking to digging in his pellet bowl, which is secure so he can't flip it over or anything. I have to scoop all his pellets back into his bowl every morning. I have a feeling I won't be able to prevent this (sigh) but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips on how to deal with this?? Thanks!

I have a 4 1/2 month old chin and It seems he has taken a liking to digging in his pellet bowl, which is secure so he can't flip it over or anything. I have to scoop all his pellets back into his bowl every morning. I have a feeling I won't be able to prevent this (sigh) but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips on how to deal with this?? Thanks!

I'm not sure a way to prevent it, but one of my guys, Tigger, does the same thing almost every day. I put just a little bit of fresh pellets into the bowl after he does so since Eeyore doesn't do it, and I don't want eeyore to have to eat the ones on the floor. Not sure how to stop it or prevent it though.

I had a chin do this to one certain kind of pellet. When I changed brands, he stopped. Another thing that helped was the covered ceramic coop cups you can buy for birds. It didn't stop the digging but helped a bit with the mess.

I have one that does the same thing. Drives me crazy, and I haven't been able to find a good solution to it either.

Mine used to throw their food dish and scatter their pellets about, or sometimes pee in it. I changed its location in their cage and it hasn't happened since. Might be worth a shot

I had a chin do this to one certain kind of pellet. When I changed brands, he stopped. Another thing that helped was the covered ceramic coop cups you can buy for birds. It didn't stop the digging but helped a bit with the mess.

Mine too, once I switched, it stopped. What feed are you using and do you put treats in that dish too? I know putting treats in the dish can cause digging.

Trixie will sometimes do that, seeming to be digging for just the right piece. She does it with erh hay too.
Before Trixie I had a guinea pig named Scooter. His food dish was a shallow heavy plastic bowl. Scooter would reach over top, grab the side furthest from him, and upend the bowl so it was on its side, leaning up against the bars of his cage, then he would eat his food. If I would right the bowl, he would just tip it again. So I just gave up.

He eats Manna Sho Pro, it's what he was on at the breeder's also. This is a new occurrence. Some days it's ALL the food, some days it's only half. Maybe I should stop topping it off every day? Only add more food every other day? He's a single chin so I don't have to necessarily worry about there not being enough food for 2.

Its really hard to get a chin to quit doing that. I have a few that dig for whatever reason. You might want to try a gravity feeder since the slots are smaller if its a big problem. Otherwise, anything in a chin's cage is fair game for tossing around. Little brats... :D

Its really hard to get a chin to quit doing that. I have a few that dig for whatever reason. You might want to try a gravity feeder since the slots are smaller if its a big problem. Otherwise, anything in a chin's cage is fair game for tossing around. Little brats... :D

Oh yes, that's what I call him every morning as he's watching me scoop all his pellets back into his bowl. Little brat! It's too hard to stay mad at him though

Back