Chin company

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

I was just wondering in general if chinchillas are happier with a playmate of the same sex?!
Im sure its mostly about the chins personality but im just curious how many people have more then one chin in the same cage?
And do the chins prefer to play with there chinnyfreinds instead of there human friends?!
Maggie is an only chin and she seems happy but sometimes i wonder if she wants a friend?
I spend plenty of time with her but im just a human lol.
I get up at 4 am for work and when i get up she is hanging on the top corner of her cage as soon as she sees me begging for attention.
I almost never walk past her cage without scratching her or giving her a stick or treat. And everyone else in my house plays with her too.

Chinchillas don't necessarily need cage mates, and some don't even want them. If at all possible, I prefer to keep my chins in pairs; however, it's just not possible with some. I have one chin that goes into crazy homicidal attack mode at the sight of another chinchilla. He used to have a cage mate that he got along great with until one day he decided he hated every other chinchilla. He attacked and killed his cage mate with no warning.

That is something that you have to keep in the back of your mind constantly when you have pairs. There is always that possibility that something could snap and your chins could begin fighting- be it minorly, or something horrible happen.

You will never know until you try. As stated, your chinchilla does not NEED a friend. She may not even want one. Some chins will get along with anyone; some chins will get along with one chin but not another.

If you do decide to get another chin, be prepared for the possibility that they may not get along and in that case, you'll need two cages and two of everything. My one chin that is by himself has been by himself for years and is just as happy as my others that are paired up.

We thought our first baby, Gizmo, wanted a friend so we got sisters, Micah and Sterling. Gizmo does not want a cage mate. She can share playtime with Micah but she and Sterling hate each other. Their cages are side by side and they are fine with that. She interacts with them but does not like to share her space.

Omg im sorry that happened,that is terrible.
I think i will keep maggie alone she seems perfectly fine.

Back