Chin color/mutations

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smlatul11

Beauty & the Beast
My female chin is white and has very light grey patches, possibly beige, but definitely look grey on her. She has pink ears, and her eyes are blue/slightly red. I was wondering what mutation/color you would consider her. And I am also trying to breed her with a standard grey male, and was wondering the possible mutations/colors of the kit/s might be.

Thank you!

Do you have her pedigree? It would help to know the color of her parents and of the other colors in her and his lines for breeding color possibilities.

pedigree information and a picture or two would speak volumes. No offense meant, but if someone doesn't know colors very well, its hard to judge a mutation simply by a text description. I've seen people list colors wrong hundreds of times on craigslist. But you also might want to consider the fact that if you don't know the color of the animals you have, perhaps you do not know the animals genetic backgrounds well enough to be breeding them. It's a common enough mistake, but I'd ask you to consider the possibility that you could produce kits that will be destined to develop malo later in life, or could be more prone to fur chewing.

I have a pedigree for one chin, and another chin was given to me by someone who couldn't provide for her any longer. I have a close friend who has bred chins before who said she will be willing to teach me and help me through it when I decide to put the two chins together, I have also bought books on chinchillas and breeding and have read many different websites on it. I plan on bringing her to a vet to get as much information as possible on her, but was just looking for any information from other experienced breeders.

This is my first time breeding. I have done a lot of research on it, and have an experienced breeder willing to walk me through my first time.

My babies!

Taking my chins to the Vet tomorrow to get them examined, and to hopefully find out more information about my female so I can possibly breed her with my male; with help from an experienced breeder of course (preventing lectures of a being a first time breeder, everyone has to start somewhere!).. Wish my little ones luck!

Beast (left) and Beauty (right) :hug2:

I'd ask your breeder friend to look at her closely for you. She is at least a white, but I'm not familiar enough with pink whites to know if she has beige or not from those pictures. Just remember to have a vet fund ready if you do move forward with breeding. My first litter ended with a spay that cost 1300$ after all the complications!

Good luck, and remember when people tell you things on here, its because they want to help you and the chins, and they mostly speak from experience. I mean why make a mistake when you can learn from someone else on how to avoid that mistake?

If I were you I'd go to shows and also see the animals your breeder friend has, this way you can become familiar with different chin colors and also learn about fur quality. It's something that just cant be expressed in pictures on the web. Plus it's a fun experience! Make sure it is a show by the ECBC or MCBA if you are in the united states.

Any 'good' breeder will never suggest breeding a chin without a pedigree. A vet can only tell you she is healthy right now. Not if she can have a healthy pet and what genetic issues she may carry. A pedigree can tell you those things. I never encourage people to breed if they can't tell basic colors apart. Please do more research. Age, genetics, confirmation and size all play an important role in breeding.

She is a pinkwhite. She is very small, you'll want to make sure she is old enough (at least a year) and her pelvis is big enough to have babies otherwise pregnancy will likely kill her. If you enjoy her as a pet I don't recommend breeding her.

She is a pw, if paired with a standard she could throw pw, beige and standard. Agreed, if no pedigree and known history on both chins, do not breed.

You are correct, everyone has to start somewhere. Please start correctly. If sincerely interested in breeding, please start with healthy, breeding quality chinchillas. There are already too many chins in rescues and too many chins with health issues such as malo due to poor breeding practices.

Look at that pretty girl enjoying being a pet in those pictures, why risk her life to breed her, she should stay being a pet.

I had a pink white that was a violet carrier. I never dabbled in violets but if I would have used him he could have passed on the violet to his offspring. You never know what people are willing to breed to get certain color combinations and some 'discard' (find pet homes for them) the recessive carriers for whatever reasons. Just be careful because you never know unless you have the pedigree!!

The chinchillas in the photo are already together so they are already in breeding.... A vet cannot tell you if you animal is breed able they can tell you the health status at that very moment but often don't do that we'll either. Most vets learn about chinchillas in one single day at vet school in one lesson given the same time as rabbits and Guinipigs. Vets have old information often being taught the average weight is 500-600 grams when I have to take my breeders in they often want me to put them on a diets and say they are obese at 800-1000 grams

You will do what you will do but It is a bad idea to breed pets tore animals and a Terrible idea also to breed when you can't identify the most basic colors

Back