Chin coat (pictures)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
My female chin (approx 5 mo old, 500g) has always had an uneven line through her coat on her back. I've had her since January and I noticed it then, but didn't know what to make of it and thought it might go away. It has not. The pictures aren't great, but it always looks as though there is a part in her fur or the fur there is shorter...or something. I've tried combing it out with no success. I've never seen her chew it either. Is this just poor coat quality? Maybe an old fur slip? Or does it look chewed?

She gets baths pretty often, at least once a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times and her coat still looks clumpy. I worry because there's a chance she may also be pregnant, as she was in with a male when I got her (they thought she was a boy :banghead:)...I just don't want her to have any health/coat problems on top of being pregnant so young.

In both pictures the area in question is about halfway between her neck and her tail.

Attachments

• DSC01177.jpg
    DSC01177.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC01181.jpg
    DSC01181.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 149
It almost looks like a fur slip to me. It could, however, just be a pattern in her fur. It doesn't look chewed but I can see what you mean about it being uneven. It also doesn't look like any priming lines I've seen before. It's either an area she keeps slipping fur at or she just has an odd fur pattern.

I have a couple of chinnies with what I call "breaks" in their fur (I have no idea why lol, they are like fault lines or something). I think it is just normal for them. I always want to try to rearrange their fur there but to no avail.

I agree with Tab, it looks like fur slip to me too. My boy CJ who used to have a cagemate but due to some bad chasing from that cagemate, he slipped a lot of fur. This happened at the end of December and you could still see it now.
DSC00904.jpg

I'm hoping it was a fur slip. She doesn't fur slip much, she's pretty bold, but like I said it would have happened before I got her.

Since your girl was caged with a male, it looks like the male pulled out the fur. It happens during breeding season when males hold females tight and girls try to run away.
It can also happen just during chasing, humping.
Fur will grow back, but it can take a while.

Sandi - what a great pic!

Thanks! :D

I worry because there's a chance she may also be pregnant, as she was in with a male when I got her (they thought she was a boy )...I just don't want her to have any health/coat problems on top of being pregnant so young

I hope she's not, poor baby.

Could be a pattern or a scar. At first glance I'd say priming line but since it's been so long that's unlikely.

Some chinchillas just have looser fur and it gives them a "mappy" look. Could just be the fur quality of the chinchilla. I am not saying she is not a wonderful pet and that she isn't cute but perhaps she is of the lower fur quality group

Some chinchillas just have looser fur and it gives them a "mappy" look. Could just be the fur quality of the chinchilla. I am not saying she is not a wonderful pet and that she isn't cute but perhaps she is of the lower fur quality group

This has been my assumption also. She has a winning personality and a weird coat, while Roo is just an old grump and has a nice, even coat. I've got quite the duo!

Back