Chin chewing exposed wood, question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacey23

My chinchilla likes to sleep in a cat scratching post (just the base with 4 holes, covered in carpet). He keeps chewing at the openings where there is a little bit of exposed wood. Is that bad? If so, how do I cover it up? I don't want to get rid of it, he loves it, but if I need to I will. Don't want my baby to get hurt!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 18
that type of wood/hardened cardboard and the carpeting itself is not safe if they are chewing on it. Ingestion of any of that could cause problems.

As said I would ditch the whole thing, most of those are made of press board (glue (commonly toxic as it's not intended to be eaten) and scrap wood and/or cardboard) and the carpet is not safe either, the fluffy kind of carpet can actually encourage chewing and if he swallows any it can cause issues. I would get or make a chin safe hidy house to play in instead. Or make some using cardboard boxes, so long as he doesn't chew them and swallow them. They aren't currently taking orders but simply chintastic has some great ideas for play sets. Also Binkybunny and Cottontail Cottages sell cardboard play houses which you could buy or just take a look at to get ideas from to make your own.

That is not safe to use. The carpet is held together with stitching and glue (which can be toxic if eaten) and can cause blockages. Im not sure how you would clean it when they urinate on it. The carpet would soak it up and it would get gross pretty quick. I would get your chin a simple wooden house. Safe to sleep in and chew, not to mention it helps wear down the teeth.

You can use either pine or aspen wood as long as they are kiln-dried. You can get either of those in bedding at normal pet stores like petco and petsmart. Never give the chins anything with fabric unless its blizzard fleece or polar fleece, make sure that there are no stitches showing though because they'll eat the thread and it could get caught in their intestines.

Both petco and petsmart actually sell houses for small rodents that are fine to use. Get the big size that's just a light color wood.

Also- don't know if you bought one, but do NOT get them a wheel that they sell at pet stores. the plastic ones they will chew and get sick and the metal ones have holes that they can get their feet stuck in. You can get either a chin spin or a flying saucer (metal) online

Back