Chin Cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

Where is there a place where I can order a good cage? I'm looking for a cage with little to no plastic included. I'm also interested in building a cage myself, but I don't know how to go about it because I've never done something like that before and I don't have a lot of money to throw at it. Any suggestions? I'm in the Waukesha, WI area.

Most people here like ferret nations or critter nation cages. They can cost a bit, but sometimes you can find them in creigs list, and/or eBay– it’s worth spending time looking at different sites on-line as some may have sales (and always look at the shipping costs). You can order a single level cage and add on later if you want to. I don’t think cage building is something a new owner should take on unless you really know what you’re doing. Please remember that in addition to a cage you will need a good wheel and to spend some money on shelves and such. Chinchillas are wonderful pets but they are not cheap to keep.

There are several good types of cages. Quality cages, martins cages, ferret nation and critter nation cages are all great. Ledges and perches don't have to cost a lot. Pine lumber is cheep and a few bolts and you are set. I have old coffee cans in some cages and they love them. Just be sure the edges are smooth. Wheels aren't manditory but most chins like them. There are several good types. Chins don't have to cost a lot, it just depends how fancy you want to go.

I personally will not buy a critter nation again. The cage wobbles and the bars break easily. If I was in the market for a new cage I would probably go with a ferret nation. I watch my local craiglist now for one but they go fast. :p. I would switch to the ferret nation if I found one for a good price.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Watch craigslist and the classifieds here. My cages are actually large bird cages from craigslist that we put wood shelves in. You might want to put a wanted ad in the classifieds here, there is a show coming up in October in Madison and you might be able to save on shipping if someone is selling one and can bring it to you.

Back