chin buddies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catem777

So I have been thinking about adding to our furry family and I wanted to get peoples opinions on animals that could co-exist (not interact or play) with my chins. I have been looking at alot of exotic animals but most are predators and goods ones at that so I dont want to even put my chins at risk. I really wanted a small furry critter that isnt a predator and that likes attention. I have considered getting guinea pigs,southern flying squirrels and sugar gliders. Does anyone have any other pets that im forgetting or opinions about the ones i listed. Thanks :)

because chinchillas are so susceptible to diseases that other animals may carry (but not be affected by), i would be very hesitant to have any other critters sharing a room with chins. for example - rabbits can carry pasturella all their lives and not get sick at all, but a chin is highly susceptible to it, and there is no cure from what i have read.

well i didnt want to get a rabbit but i do remember reading that they had to kept completly separate because of that. Which ever one I pick I will make sure they dont carry anything .

Dogs won't be a worry, will they? Andy and I were planning to get dogs when we move (shepherd mix for him, toy poodle for me), and get them at the same time or the poodle first so there'll be fewer complications. My family has always had success using spray water bottles to train dogs, so I figured keeping one near Jonesy's cage would do the trick so they don't harass her (and keeping them out of the room at playtimes).
Chins are susceptible to rodent and human infections, but not likely with dogs, right?

I have heard people keeping guinea pigs in the same room as chinchillas. I'm not sure if it's technically safe or not. I have been considering getting dwarf hamsters? Would it be okay to keep them in the same room?

I have five dogs (golden retriever, husky/lab mix, 3 mini dachshunds) and Ive never had a problem with them coexisting. Bella doesn't seem to mind them at all, and they're hardly ever in the same room as she is. When we first got Bella, they where curious but I didn't let them go near the cage. Now, they actually tend to ignore her, and vice versa. She doesn't even flinch when they bark anymore. And, her cage is tall enough and off the ground to where she doesn't even have to visually see them or acknowledge their existence if she doesn't want too.

I have a sugar glider in the dining room (opposite corner) with my chins. Never had a problem, but they dont interact at all. If you do consider a glider...read up as they are very high maintenance little critters! My dogs get along great with my chins (Charlie flings poop and they eat it :sick: ). I have rats and a ferret in a different room. Rats are amazing pocket pets (litter trained, clean, very affectionate). What ever you decide, do lots of research to make sure it's what you really want! Good luck!

Have you considered degus? I don't personally have any experience with them, but they seem like neat little critters. I think they are closely related to chinchillas. They even take dust baths just like a chin!

Dogs won't be a worry, will they? Andy and I were planning to get dogs when we move (shepherd mix for him, toy poodle for me), and get them at the same time or the poodle first so there'll be fewer complications. My family has always had success using spray water bottles to train dogs, so I figured keeping one near Jonesy's cage would do the trick so they don't harass her (and keeping them out of the room at playtimes).
Chins are susceptible to rodent and human infections, but not likely with dogs, right?

Dogs go outside and can carry any germ in the house. Just like a human, or any other animal could. Humans can even accidentally pass on deadly diseases like herpes from a cold sore. We just need to remember to play it smart with good hygiene and trying to keep animals as separate as possible. While there is always a risk of spreading disease, I think the bigger concern is the chin's psychological well being. Making sure that other animals aren't trying to get into the cage, or stressing them out. Remember chins are prey. If a dog or cat can't be trained to leave the chin alone then the chin should be put into a room where the dog/cat can't get to them.

I've got 2 guinea pigs andmy exotixs vet said it was fine to have them next to the chins. I confirmed with two other vets whome I trust and they agreed it was fine. I love how interactive the pigs are. BUT they smell really bad - I wish I'd known that before I got the first one.

Anyway they if you don't mind constant cage cleaning and the smell, I think they make great pets.

In the past I have kept rats in the same room as the chins. If anyone is planning on getting dogs, I would suggest that you have a set up so that if needed you can keep the chins in a completely different room than the dogs.

Have you considered degus? I don't personally have any experience with them, but they seem like neat little critters. I think they are closely related to chinchillas. They even take dust baths just like a chin!
Degus are really messy and pee out of the cage. They are by far the messiest rodent I've ever encountered.

Degus are really messy and pee out of the cage. They are by far the messiest rodent I've ever encountered.

I have to agree with that. While I loved my 'goos, I could only stand them for so long. I used wooden shelves in their cage - that was a mistake. They pee on everything and those shelves looked like a disaster within a week, so I was constantly taking out the shelves and washing or replacing them. Even people I knew who kept them in aquariums... the aquariums were messy if that's even possible (not that I would recommend that, of course). I eventually found homes for the ones I had - I couldn't stand the constant cleaning (I can deal with the weekly cleanings for the chins), and everything was always sticky from their pee.

After they were all re-homed... some degus were surrendered to the rescue along with their completely wire cage with wire shelves..... I thought that would be better than my attempts with wooden shelves. I powerwashed everything before getting them in the cage.... same thing, everything was sticky and goo-y within a week, and the entire table around where the cage sat was sticky and, if not wiped and scrubbed daily, would start to build up a layer of grime. They were adopted out, and the lady who adopted them is very happy with them.... but they were not the pet for me. I can stand chinchilla poo coming out my ears and somehow making its way to the second story of the house (even though the chins are in the basement) but the degu pee everywhere and everything constantly grimy feeling in the cage and sticky was too much for me. And I am not a neat freak by any means.

Latest posts

Back