Chin biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karicola

I have had my chin for almost 2 months now and he had warmed up to me fairly quickly. He would let me pet him and take him out of his cage with almost no problem. I went away for 3 days last week and now that I am back he tries to bite every time I get close to him, almost as if I have lost his trust. He is still eating and drinking, etc. so I don't think he is sick. Is there anything I can do to help our relationship get better again?

Is the biting a hard sharp "get away" type nip.... or is it a more gentle nibbling? Gentle nibbling is usually them trying to groom and bond with you.

If it's a hard sharp nip, then try offering a treat first, before trying to pet him.

if its a sharp 'get away' type that newt was talking about, have you looked at the time/location of the petting? - I have pets that even when friendly if you pet them at certain times (when they are sleepy) or certain locations (in the tube) they have a habit of nipping anyway.

He has a hammock in the cage that is his safe place. I never touch him when he is in there and I think he realizes that because he always runs there first. Also, I only ever try to pet himand take him out when he comes to the door of the cage which I think he has associated with coming out. And it is a sharp bite. He bit me hard this morning, I was bleeding for a little. He takes treats from me with no problem and I have tried putting them further up my hand/arm to get his trust but he won't go for the treat.

When any of my chins start biting, I gently tap the nose and firmly tell them "no". I then continue what I was doing. (Don't back off or put him down or you will teach him that biting gets him his way). after a few of those, they usually stop biting. I also only give treats if they are being good. Never give a treat right after getting bit. You will quickly create a huge biting problem.

I'm having that problem as well. I've had my chin for over a year and all of a sudden he's biting me when I take him out of his cage to run around. He will bite my feet and legs and won't let go. It's a sharp bite. I don't know what to do

Latest posts

Back