Chin biting me more than usual

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

I have had my chin for a week and the last few days when ever she gets near my feet or hands she bites at them and it kinda hurts, what should i do?

I think I read somewhere that you can wear gloves and just let her bite away....when she realizes that it doesn't affect you anymore, it'll stop biting....are you sure they're just not "love nibbles"?

I think I read somewhere that you can wear gloves and just let her bite away....when she realizes that it doesn't affect you anymore, it'll stop biting....are you sure they're just not "love nibbles"?
Well just 5 minutes ago she almost drew blood so im fairly sure they arnt love nibbles

Nyx did this when I first got her. I'm not sure but I think has to do with being so young. I think they just don't know what is the right amount of pressure. I would just take my finger back and say in a stern tone "no!" or "ow", then put my finger back for more scritching. It took a few days but now she just love nibbles. Make sure not to yell or you'll fright her and cause other bonding issues.

I have also heard of the glove solution. You could try it, I just don't have any leather or heavy gloves. Atleast not any I wouldn't mind having bite marks on.

My first chin use to bite, and it's taken alot of time and patience for him to stop.
Definately "firmly" say: "no bite"--and she'll get it. My chin use to bite to get his
way. I think some chins are somewhat "bratty" and lots of patience and love and
they may still put a tooth to you; but, it won't hurt. So they'll learn not to bite down.
Also, get a wood stick and give to her right after it and tell her:"here". But, gotta
be firm. Your the boss!!hehe

I've heard to lightly blow on their face when they engage in behaviors you don't want. Yelling could stress them, and don't spray them with water like a cat or dog :]

I have a very bittey chin, Bobo. NOTHING I've done stops her from biting so I've come to accept it. Every time her cage door is open I feed her or give her hay she attacks my hand and bites me. Sometimes she draws blood, sometimes not. I just want you to be aware that you may never stop your chin from having this behavior. I love Bobo very much, she is my first chin, but she is also my meanest chin. I just love her just as much as the others and talk loving and soothing to her everyday. She has been getting about not biting when I open the cage because I make her come to my hand to get a treat.
I do think having your chin for only 1 is still an adjustment period for her and hopefully she will calm down and get used to you.

I do totally understand the foot thing tough, we had a chin who would hide under the recliner and attack my son's feet as he walked past all the time. I also believe Carol-Anne's Pip is a foot attacker.

the leather gloves work. You need to keep in mind that you should not let the chin believe that they are getting their way. In other words, when they bite, just continue with what you were doing. The minute that you back off, they get the idea that biting gets them what they want.

This will gross some people out (It already has) but, here's a bite I received from my newest chin. Still hasn't healed and this was a bit back.

2md1bpx.jpg

5v40vl.jpg

That was my first real, true, and heavy chin bite. After that pic, I also was bitten on my other finger, and my wrist.
I also might add, since you've only had her for a week, she's probably still scared and adjusting. I'd say leave her alone for a little while.

Yes chin bites do hurt, i have had blood drawn many times. And alot of people suggest using the leather gloves. And yes blowing lighting on their face will stop it, but if it's biting all the time, I'm not sure if that will stop it.

But i was thinking, you said you only had her a week, so maybe she needs alittle more time to adjust and get confortable with you (trust you). So maybe let her be in the cage for about another week, and just sit there and only go in to feed her and clean the cage, and talk to her in a calm relaxing voice.

Best of luck to you,
Jean

Most biters never stop. I have seen them usually only get worse and then start if they havent already on other chins as well. I dont keep biters.

Maybe I've been lucky, but in 8 years, and probably close to 300 chins, I've only had 2 biters, and one of them was a rescue that I was the 3rd home in 2 weeks!
The glove thing worked both times, and some TLC turned the rescue around, completely! She never bit again in her forever home, as far as I know, but she was with me about 3 months. I had just started giving the herd LifeLine, which seemed to calm everyone down, and I imagine that helped. IMO, a healthy chin is a happy chin!

I went through a period when the chins did not get the attention that they deserved. On of the chins started biting during that time. I used leather gloves and lots of TLC and he quit biting. He actually turned out to be quite a snuggler.

Back