Chin Behaviour Changes with Age?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

My female chinchilla is getting older (obviously, that's usually what happens.. ha) she's not old-old, she's about 6 or 7 years old, but I feel like she is getting a bit nicer towards me with age? Whenever I put my hand near her, not on her, but near her, she would push me away with her paws. Now, she comes over to my hand and grooms/licks my fingers and palm, and sometimes even climbs onto my hand! This might not seem like a big deal to some chin owners, but my chinchilla doesn't really like contact, she's not aggressive or anything, but I respect who she is and don't push her to become any different.

I haven't done anything differently recently, still treat her the same, just curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else or if it is common for chinchillas to become more relaxed as they get older. Thanks!

I have six boys at under a year old and two boys at just over a year old. The youngest two (four months) popcorn and play, and are never still, while the middle four are a little more sedate in their ways. My eldest boy at two and a half is very set in his ways, and does not like any change in his routine. All my chins enjoy daily handling, strokes and cuddles, and willingly climb into my arms for extra cuddles. :wink3:

for all my chins, especially the girls tho, what they want, tolerate, will accept, all depends on there mood at any given moment. Some times they will swap my hand away fast, other times they run away, some times they actually will stand there for a petting for a moment or too. Moody little creatures'

Idgie has actually slowed down with age. Doesn't want to run around as much/jump as high. To be expected. Not sure that she is any different with affection though. On a good day, she might actually let me hold her for more than a few minutes.

I think it can go either way. Marble is pretty mellow, unless I'm trying to pick her up, and seems to want more attention the older she gets. ZZ is the complete opposite. He used to be a little love bug and now he pushes my hand away, or just wants to hump my hand. I think she is 10 and he is 13-ish. Maybe they just go through stages.

It could be that she's just getting more comfortable with you. I have seen chins get more friendly and some that get grumpy as they age. A dramatic change though can always be a sign of a health problem, so just be vigilant that she is eating/drinking and all else is normal.

Latest posts

Back