chin bedding as compost?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkingback

i use carefresh and it says it can be used as compost, and i was wondering if it is ok to use chinchilla droppings as compost? (or as a contribution to it I should say)

I give my grandfather my rabbit and chin bedding to fertilize a few of his things. I use Carefresh as well

I used to mulch my flowerbeds with chinchilla waste (shavings, hay and droppings.) Now I have a pretty large "compost" heap outside with all the chin wastes. I used to go out to water it down and turn it, but the cows just tromp through it and eat most of it. It can compost pretty well. I did have a neighbor say that the end product could end up being too acidic because of the pine shavings...I don't know if that is true though. :)

I haven't done that yet (and I am an avid gardener), but it's totally feasible. My issue is that people have said the smell can be a problem if not tilled in or buried. However, my yard waste recyclers haven't turned it away yet.

Do you ever have a problem with the hay from cage cleanings seed in their planters? My mom would use mine but she's worried about weeds.

Yeah, that is the problem with directly using the shavings....errant hay seeds. You could reduce the likelihood of germination by properly composting it. But I imagine it would take too long to do so...Perhaps several compost piles staggered...

I just bag mine up and place the bag in the trash bin and the garbage truck takes it.

Which is fun to watch when they are taking all the bags out and just tossing it into the truck without thinking about it, and then they get to that bag. HAHA that is funny

thanks everyone! i was looking into making a compost pile this summer, so i wouldnt just throw my use carefresh bedding on the plants, but yea thanks for the advice!

Do you ever have a problem with the hay from cage cleanings seed in their planters? My mom would use mine but she's worried about weeds.
It doesn't grow weeds, it grows hay!

I use it to fill in the holes in my lawn, and every spring the new spots sprout timothy. Pretty funny. Around March or so the lawn overtakes it faster than it can sprout anything else.

I have a guy that comes once a month and picks up all my chin shavings,poo etc. I wish we could put it into the green garden bins we have from the city, but they refuse to take it because it has "pee" in the shavings. Just dumb!

Back