Chin barns?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And at other times the day job covers the cost.
Too true. I don't know anyone who only has chins for a living, most people I know that have large numbers have two jobs.

For those of you that have hundreds of chins do you use automatic watering systems? also do they really work well?
I don't have hundreds, but I do use an auto system. It's awesome when it's working.

I don't have a float tank, I use gravity fed bottles that get changed and washed weekly. This limits the amount of flooding that happens when someone chews the line.

Starting a line once it goes dry involves sucking on a nozzle or an outlet valve at the end of the line, this ensures you clean your lines frequently. :p Getting one set up takes a lot of time but I will always try to use one over bottles.

Edited to include a picture for you.

Attachments

• Dripline.jpg
    Dripline.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
How do you make enough room for all the cages, and what kind of cages do you use?
I only have 20 chins. The chins have their own bedroom right now. Eventually they'll be moved out to the garage after we finish insulating and add a window for light and AC. I use melamine cages.

How to give enough time for each chin a day, and how to do make time to feed them and give them fresh water.
I check water bottles twice a day and feed once at night. Takes about 5-10 minutes. I peek in at everyone at the same time.

How do you keep the cages clean (Lord knows a chin can pee)?

I clean once a week. This involves removing dirty shavings, wiping everything inside the cage down, and then vaccuming the room when I'm done. If I don't play too much, it usually takes 2-2 1/2 hours. I let a few cages out to play while I'm cleaning.

How do you afford it all, because it is DANG expensive just having 2 chins. EX: How much for food, dust, hay, toys, accesories, wheels, wood, etc.
Buying in bulk, it really doesn't cost a ton, though prices have gone up quite a bit. I could cut costs, but I like to spoil them.
Bale of pine shavings every 3 weeks = $9
50 lbs of food every 2 months = $22 (current price right now, though Ronda hooked me up with some at $15 a bag)
Hay and/or hay cubes = $40 every 4 months
Toys/chews = ~$60 every 6 months. I usually buy toy parts twice a year. I also have a couple apple trees that I trim for them.
Dust 50lbs a year= $35
Hammocks - I make my own at about $3-4 a hammock if I find a good fleece sale
Cage maintenance varies.
I make my own chin houses.
No wheels here. Too expensive and not a necessity.

Back