chin ate plastic, what to do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm

I have two chins, Mister and Pirate, who got ahold of a plastic bag containing rosehips. They chewed/ate through about half of one of those snack-size Ziploc bags, and it looks like all the rosehips are gone (there was probably like half an ounce in there). I cleaned the living room of poops, and let them out one by one, so I could see how they were pooping. Pirate is pooping like a champ, but after about 45 minutes, Mister is pooped only a couple of tiny poops, about the same diameter as he should be, but only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the length they normally are, and they're a bit sticky. He may have pooped quite a bit more, but it looked like he was "recycling", if you know what I mean. I've fed them each about half an inch of Petromalt, but is there anything else I can do?

I had a chin to get a few bites of plastic bag before. I freaked out and called the vet and he said that if she started acting odd, to bring her in, but she didn't. Poops/pee was fine. If Mister is pooping funny, I'd say just for the sake of mind to take him into the vet to be on the safe side.

With the amount of rosehips consumed though I would imagine those could alter poos too though. If they are in the same cage maybe you could do a temp seperation just to make sure Mister keeps pooing.

If you have some critical care (and I would get some if you do not) I would force feed some, actually a lot. That is just me though, and I can do it without completely stessing out the animal. It is good to get his gut moving and could not hurt. He is not going to eat a ton of food at once, to get the plastic (if there is any) out, so the CC should help that. Try some acidiphilus and also some activated charcoal, both of which you can find at health food stores like GNC. I would also separate them so you can keep better track of his poos. Use white paper towels instead of bedding. Good luck!

Mister won't eat Critical Care at all; I've tried before when he's healthy but he refuses it completely (even when mixed 1:3 with Petromalt, which he loves). So unfortunately that's out the window.

We just let him out again to see how he's doing; he's still bright-eyed and very active, and he just pooped a bunch and they pretty much look normal!

We'll get him some acidophilus and some charcoal anyway, for future emergencies. Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll update if his poops get worse again. I think he's fine now.

Glad to hear they are both alright! this just happened to me a little while ago, luckily they just chewed a hole through the bag which dumped all the treats onto the floor where they couldn't reach them lol!

Latest posts

Back