Chin and traveling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbringas

I have an informative speech coming up this monday. I did mine on how to take care of a chinchilla. I was wondering what others thought of me bringing in my chinchilla Sophia as visual aid. She would only be in the car for one street light and then in the classroom for an hour 1.5 hours tops. Then back home she goes. I am debating doing this but would love a more proffesional opinion. Also NO ONE will be touching her!
Sorry I didn't know where to put this post :/

i wonder if it maybe a bit stressful.... like if there are alot of people there and its noisy, another thing to consider is what the temps will be there.. and add people to it, and it will be even warmer.. you dont want her/him to overheat...

just some concerns you may want to think about..

How safe is the carrier/cage you're bringing your chin in? Would your professor be willing to allow the chin to stay in their office with the light off until it's time for you to present? Is there another quiet area the chin can relax? I don't think a short presentation is going to traumatize a chinchilla so long as they aren't over stressed and remain cool. However if your chin has to stay in the class for the whole class while other people are presenting and potentially getting quite loud it might be too much for her. People have brought chinchillas to classrooms and such before. I think as long as you're safe about it and the chinchilla has time to relax when it's not time for the presentation that it would be fairly safe. Chinchillas go to shows where they are in a room with tons of other chinchillas and people. I can't imagine it stays silent.

I agree with Dawn. My chin has been to the vet tons of times, which is a 20 minute drive and typically over an hour visit and has ran some errands with me on the way back and has been fine. He usually gets poked and prodded too.

My bf and I drove from British Columbia to Alberta for job relocation, which was about 12-13 hours drive, our chin slept most of the time. :p We always made sure that the car was not too warm e.g. rolled down the windows a little bit, on and off the heat, checked the chin often. It should be fine for your chin too. :thumbsup:

Chins go through much more stress at a chinchilla show than they would being in a classroom for a few hours. Give her some hay to munch on a maybe a chew toy. She will be fine. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!!! I was really hoping I would get a positive response. Class is cold 68 to 70 degrees. My professor said its fine if she stays in her office and the class is only 12 people so I doesnt get to noisy. Also the cage is a smaller cage then her home. Same concept I can hook a water bottle and throw some hay in. Everyone eased my worries. I appreciate it :)

Water bottle, hay, food dish and hanging toy, chin will be good to go. People like to see what chins eat hence the food bowl, they like to see evidence of chewing too-bring some chewed down chew sticks also for show and tell.

I wonder how your professor would feel about a dust bath demo? People find those hilarious to watch. My friends who come over always wanted to see my little guy bathe and now they want to see the girls. They whine even if it's not dust bath day. Sometimes I give in... sometimes not. If you had a way to show them while containing most the dust (like a large glass cookie jar) I wouldn't see why your professor would mind with such a small class. Maybe bring in some photos of her normal cage setup as well? When I talk to people about chinchillas who have never seen one before they are always super curious.

Latest posts

Back