Chin acting weird.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linganne

I got home and realised my chin was oyt of the cage running ard in my room. When i put him back he acted weird kept jumping ard and biting the cage really hard and at the same time shaking them. I understand that it could be cause when he came out it was like freedoom to him. He kept pushing and biting me, when i told him to stop. What can i do to stop him from behaving like this? Could it be that he is bored? As the past few days i have not been home. He is much better when the lights on but when i switch it off he goes mad. This the firat time he is behavubg this way. Rgds to his play stuff he has got like 2-3 and the apple wood aticks which he only likes certain sticks like the thinner ones, the bigger branches he throws them away. What can i do? I really need him to stop making noise, biting and shaking the cage?

My chin acts that way also when she is riled up. Also, I notice when I am sleeping over someone else's house or at my parent's house for a night or two, I come back and Chloe has destroyed something in her cage (she doesn't have anything bad it's most likely part of a shelf or a ledge or her house). Do you have time for a good say, 2 hour playtime? After that, when he's back in his cage he may bounce around for a moment or so but then maybe he'll calm down. Or maybe if you leave him be he will calm down but it sounds like he certainly wants out again (of course they always do).

EDIT: Was he out for the entire time you were gone? Is the room chin-proofed? This has nothing to do with him wanting back out and his behavior you described but it's something to think about and make sure he's ok.

Last edited:
I agree with Caiti, give him longer or more playtime. That way he'll tire himself out and will be less apt to bite and chew on the cage bars. When I put mine up, they usually just lay down and take a nap. Maybe get him a wheel or something to help him use up that extra energy.

Back