Chin Acting Abnormal.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

Carl's not exactly hyperactive, but when I take him into the bathroom he deffinitley runs and explores. Acouple days ago his personality has done a complete 180. He dosen't want to come out of his cage, he fights with me. I was away last night, fed him early so that nobody else had to. Same food, same water. I gave him a stick to chew on and a treat for my mom to give him in the morning. When I came home today I waited till 6 pm and then went into to clean his cage. I picked him up (he didnt even fight) I noticed he felt like he weighed alittle heavier/His stomach felt very firm. Which seemed alittle abnormal. I ran the vaccum in my room to clean up any shavings or food that falls out of his cage. He dosent like the vaccum but he tolerates it. Meaning he doesnt freak out when I run it but he just listens to it. I put him back into his regular cage (I put him in a travel cage when I clean) And walked out to talk to my mom about something. The vaccum was still plugged in, and was in his eyesight. Like I said he "tolerates" it. When i came back in about five minutes later, he was half asleep in his dust box. Hes usually up by now, in his corner staring at the vaccum or just wandering around. Do you think theres something wrong with him? Does he seem lathargic or sick? His poo is fine, His water intake seems normal, and he seems to be eating fine. Could it be that because for the first time i left him for a whole night/day he got upset and ate to much and hes bloated/lethargic? My mom said he might have just been up all day waiting for me and hes sleepy. Hes six, people say that Chin's personalitys change alittle bit as they get older. Ive had him sense Septemeber of last year (im his second owner). Please any advice is appreciated.

I would just keep an eye on him, it`s a good sign that he is eating, drinking and pooping fine.
Did your Mom or someone else let him run around while you were gone? Is it possible that he may have eaten something he was not supposed to while he was out of his cage?
Just watch him closely for a few days, I would not worry too much right now.

Claudia

No. Im the only one to take him out because if you dont get him at a certain angle he'll try to escape. Ive been checking on him every so often. Hes just in his dust box kinda lounging/sleeping. I went in there and he hopped out. Could it have been it was TOO cold in my room? Ive been meaning to ask if chinchillas act diffrently when its too cold. THanks for responding by the way!

If it isn't too cold for you it certainly isn't too cold for a chin. Cold usually makes a chin more active. I definitely would watch him and make sure he is eating, drinking and pooping normally. If that 'goes off' I would take him to a vet immediately.

As mentioned, keep an eye on him and if any other symptoms appear, take him to the vet.

As a side note, do you leave the dust bath in his cage 24/7? If so, you should take it out and offer it a couple of times a week for about 15 to 20 minutes. Leaving it in the cage can cause the chin's skin to dry out.

Latest posts

Back