Chilli-Pill

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

Just thought I would post an update on my Chilli. I was reading all the other recent posts about malo and was thanking my lucky stars that I still have my baby boy. It has been 2 years now since his diagnosis of Malo. At first I was very emotionally stressed if I was doing the right thing for him, but I asked the vet several times and she said she would be honest with me when it was time to let him go. I thought we would lose him last year when I was handfeeding and feeding and he was still having trouble maintaining his weight. Took him in for a trimming, and hubby and I decided that if he didn't bounce back right away, we would not put him through any more. That boy has a determination to live. He gained weight every day until he hit 640, and then he stayed steady. Last month, his weight started dropping, so until I could get him in I hand fed him to make sure he was getting food in him. Happy to report, he is already back up to weight. I am one of the lucky ones. I am aware the time will come when he doesn't bounce back from those trimmings and it will be that time. Until then, I will keep getting the whiskers kisses and nail trimmings from my little bumpkin that I love so much.

When you are dealing with long term care of a malo chin you need to make sure to get x-rays every 6 months or so, elongation is a real possibility and can be silent until it gets horrid.

Thanks for that reminder. I did not get xrays this last time. He made it 8 months between trimmings, and has bounced right back. I hate to put him under again for the xrays so soon, but I will definitely get him in for those when I get the next paycheck. This week it's the german shepherd needing an extraction.

Latest posts

Back