chicken pox and shingles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostongirl'sChin75

Stephanie: Zoo Poo Gal!
Does anyone know if you can get shingles more than once? I may have been exposed to the chicken pox virus while babysitting a friends son and I have had them before so that is not a problem, but I was exposed a few years ago too and ended up with shingles from the exposure. I had been sick with the flu before hand,so my immune system was compromised and I have just gotten over a bad URI and was got to wondering about it after she told me her son may have chicken pox.

Anyone know if you can get it twice?

Yes, you can get it twice. In fact, I am surprised your doctor didn't recommend the vaccine for you. Each time you get it, it is worse than the last time. My grandfather had it 3 times before they came out with the vaccine.

Yes, once you get chicken pox, the virus (Varicella) stays in your system always. It lays dormant and may never cause an issue, but if you're under stress, or if your immune system is weak, the virus can become active again. You won't get chicken pox, but you can get shingles. They can be very painful and are potentially contagious if someone who hasn't had chicken pox comes in contact with them. Its spread when the sores open up and the virus becomes airborne. However, just being exposed to someone with chicken pox can't cause a shingles outbreak.. unless you had such a mild case of chicken pox that your body didn't make enough antibodies.

yep you sure can! and it's usually worse the second time. I hope you are not getting it again

Latest posts

Back