Chewing!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn1985

Hi, I've had my boy, miffy for about 8 months now! He's a happy boy but i worry he doesn't seem to chew enough, he has so many things to go at, wood, cuttlebone,lava ledge, hay, he will have a little nibble but that's about it! I'm currently following the guidelines to prepare him some apple sticks (from a tree in my moms garden so I know it's safe) so I hope he goes for them! Does anybody have any other suggestions of things to try or ways to entice him to chew more!? I'm worried his teeth will become overgrown, just to put my mind at ease what would you guys say is a good/safe length for his front teeth!? So I can keep an eye on him :)

His front teeth should be even and straight. If they are too long they will curve toward the inside of his mouth. Abnormal front tooth growth is often caused by an uneven bite due to the way molars come together. There is no way to check a chin's molars. A vet must do this.

If your boy is eating and drinking normally then his teeth are most likely just fine. You are offering plenty of things to chew on. I would remove the cuttlebone. He receives plenty of calcium in feed and hay. Too much calcium is not good for him. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your help I've removed the cuttlebone, he had zero interest in it anyway to be honest. I'm sure he will just chew when he wants/needs and I'm worrying over nothing! Thank you again :)

Echo-ing the removal of the cuttlebone. Those are for birds, not chins! Too much calcium will lead to kidney stones.

If your chin has lots of free timothy hay to munch on, pellets, and a variety of chews then he should be good to go. As long as he's eating and drinking I wouldn't be too worried, if he's not eating (powdering his pellets, not eating hay) and shows other concerning signs like watery eyes, drooling, weightloss, etc. then I would be concerned.

Latest posts

Back