Chewing pellets to dust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarlettSugoi

My chinchilla has started chewing his pellets to dust.
I don't know why or if something is wrong with his teeth.
He chews his wood still, engulfs any treats, drinks water, and eats his hay.
He eats everything else normal but only recently started chewing up his pellets.
Maybe I am giving him too much and he is just chewing the rest up out of boredom?

He is acting normal aside from the pellets. I use Oxbow. Maybe I should ween him to a new kind?

What kind of treats are you giving him and how much? Does he have an wetness/drooling under his chin? How old is the bag of pellets? Since he's behaving normal and chewing wood and hay, I'm thinking you might have gotten a stale bag, but not sure. How are his poops?

Apple wood chews and these dandelion drops I found at the pet store. He loved them so much. And no he has no drooling. I'm not sure when I get his pellets. Thinking about it though it's been about two months or maybe slightly more. Been really busy since my mother had open heart surgery.

Then I think you may have a stale bag. Try a new bag of Oxbow before you switch his pellets. Also, stop with the dandelion drops, the first ingredient is sugar along with a lot of other crap and that is not good for chins at all.

Vitakraft Dandelion Drops
Ingredients:
Sugar, vegetable oil, whey powder, dried skimmed milk, ground dandelion, corn starch, cocoa powder, lecithin, vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol, a-tocopherol acetate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione dimethylpyrimidnol bisulfite, vitamin B12, nicotinic acid, ca-dl-pantothenate, biotin.

Alright I will stop with the treats. And we go Thursday to the pet store.
I will get home more wood, pellets, and maybe some lava stones.
Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back