Chewing on metal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

I have a silver surfer wheel and a chin spin in my FN cage. My two boys have recently started to chew on the silver surfer wheel. I searched here on the forums and there is an identical post from 2010.

I have taken the wheel out, but my question is, why are they chewing on the wheel instead of their toys? They have a ton of wood and chew toys, they don't chew on the bars or the metal litter pans or even on the chin spin. They used both wheels when they were in there.

Any idea why they are chewing on their wheel, and if there is any way to stop them?

I wouldn't worry about it. In my (very brief!) experience chins chew on all kinds of things and tend to rediscover or discover things they haven't yet chewed on. For a while one of ours was running on her wheel then after it slowed down putting her little teeth on it. I swear to god. Vet said it wasn't anything to worry about. But it was bizarre. She stopped now thank god. And has started smashing herself into a 2 inch high space on top of her tube.

To a chinchilla the world is to be chewed.

And no doubt they will try and chew on the metal litter pan :)

Back