Chewing on his tail?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

One of my chins appears to be chewing near the base of his tail. I've read this can indicate illness or stress. I've got pictures below.

Is it time to visit the vet or is it time to rethink the cage layout?

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

As everyone else says, please excuse the poo.
~Richard

Last edited:
Is this a single chin? Is the weight steady? Eating, drinking and chewing normal? Any changes at all to the enviroment, even outside noises?

I have two chins, both males, both have been together for over a year prior to me purchasing them from the pet store.

I have had them for a little over two months, and have added quite a bit to their cage.

They are both eating/drinking/chewing normally, the only other thing I can add is that one of them is having very small poops instead of the normal. This just started over the last 24 hours. They almost look like dwarf hamster size (about 1/4 of the norm). He will sometimes not want to come out for play time, and I don't force him.

Since the chewing started I did add a bunch of fleece to the cage, I guess this much change could have stressed him.

Otherwise, no outside noises, I leave the TV on for a little while (about 2 - 3 hours per day).

I do not have a response on weight because I have not been able to take a weight on him at all.

With cage mates you don't know who is chewing who, I had one who was a chewer and he not only chewed his fur her chewed his cage mates tail bald, the tail looked like a big rat tail. The small poo concerns me also, do you have a bully situtation where one is keeping the other from eating and drinking, or do you have a medical problem. I honestly don't do pairs but my advice is to start by putting two bowls and two water bottles and get a scale and start weighing the one with the issue and keep a close eye on that chin if symptoms don't improve, may be worth a vet visit.

What is the best way to weigh a chin? I have a food scale, but it's not electronic so if the chin doesn't stay still I won't get a good reading. Are there any scales that anyone can recommend?

Back