Chewing on FN bars?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljm94

One of my chins keep gnawing on my Ferret Nation Cage bars. The other female I have does the same but she just kinda rests her teeth on the bars, not full blown "I'm gonna chew these bars till I get out" like my other female. Is this okay? Or should I wipe the bars with white vinegar so she won't want to? I'm worried she will chip her teeth. She has plenty of wooden (pine) accessories to chew on and hanging wooden toys as well.

One of my chins does this as well. I haven't seen any ill effects from letting her do this, but I'll be interested in what other people say as well. I think it's more of a I want to get out and can't wait as she only does this when I appear around play time.

my chin constantly bites his bars.. i just thought he was bored and wanted to come out as he also has loads of toys and things to chew, he just doesnt like to wait his turn to play.

Same with one of my girls.
I've also noticed her chewing at the little holes in the corners (where the original shelves go into) and she's gnawed a decent amount of paint off

I really want to know if anyone knows a good way to discourage this. I've heard vinegar is bad for chins if ingested so I don't think that's a good idea, unless someone knows otherwise.

My females do this, but only when they are anxious for playtime. My male hasn't don't it (at least not that I can tell)

Sometimes, the girls will just sit for periods of time with their mouths around the bars, not really chewing, but just gripping the bar between their teeth.

must be a female thing cause the male I owned never touched the bars, the females just can't get enough of them lol

I have had a male break one of his incisors from constantly chewing on his FN bars. He runs them up and down obsessively. I've had to put shelfs and such in all of his favorite spots to chew but there's really not much else I can do that I know of...

Back