Chewing on cage floors/parts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Since I got him about 2 years ago, Sam has chewed the floors (not the caging, which is chew-proof, as every part should be!) and slides in his cage. His bowel movements have not been impacted in the least bit, and he remains 100% healthy and acting the same. Am I going to have to buy new cage parts/a new cage ever couple of years? Do chins do this regardless? Is there a way to prevent it? I give him a little nudge and tell him to stop chewing or something in a loud stern tone in hopes that he will associate that with stopping chewing on his cage. It works temporarily and when I'm around. He has plenty of toys and food available all the time that he eats regularly. Suggestions or advice, please!

If there is something for him to chew that could impact him, the cage isn't chew proof. You need to replace any plastic with wood/metal or cover it in fleece.

Punishment doesn't work well with chins.. It's best to eliminate the problem at it's source.

I mean the actual cage part you know the frame I guess I should say, is chew-proof. It's a Kaytee ferret cage if that helps visually. However, the plastic base and floors are clearly not part of the chew-proof description and neither are the slides/ramps. I haven't found any cages in the last 2 years anywhere in any virtual or physical store that don't have plastic elements and are the appropriate size for a chin's needs. I know he'll eat through any fabric like the fleece you suggested. Do they sell cages that fit what you suggested or parts? I have no idea where to find them, so I would love any links or suggestions, please!

All cages need to be modified. You can get a FN or CN and replace the plastic pans with metal pans from Bass Equipment. http://bassequipment.com/Cage+Pans/Ferret+Nation+Pans/default.aspx Martins cages are all metal, but you'd probably want to remove the levels and replace with wood since the wire can be hard on their feet.

With your current cage, you can take out the levels and replace with wooden ones. That will eliminate most of the plastic but you won't be able to do anything about the bottom of the cage. He could end up chewing through that eventually so you need to be careful.
Fleece does not unravel like most fabrics so most chins tend not to chew it.

In the end... You'll need to order or make a lot of it yourself. Many people here sell ledges but it's cheaper to make your own if you can. The important thing is that you remove the plastic before he gets impacted. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it won't.

I have a feisty ferret cage and it had plastic levels and a wire bottom floor. I just covered one level with fleece and the other level with marble tiles. I replaced the ramp with two large grapewood and mazinita bird perches. The chinchillas love climbing the perches and it add to the chew toys in the cage. The plastic levels I am replacing with kiln dried pine boards. Any cage will require modifications to be completely chinchilla proof and safe. My modifications were under $50.

The only cage I know of that you can buy that is good to go without needed to remove things is ones from Quality Cage. They are expensive, but come with everything you need if you go with a package including a wheel with some.

It's just so upsetting that they make these cages, which are not cheap as we all know, and they have to be MacGyvered. Thank you so much for all of your tips and advice, everyone!

To be fair most of these cages are not made for chinchillas but for ferrets and rats.

To be fair most of these cages are not made for chinchillas but for ferrets and rats.

Mine is for a ferret. I think rat housing is far too small for any chin. I don't really understand how they are legal and commonly sold in franchised or whatever you'd like to call the Walmarts of the pet store world, yet there are so few things specific to them. I feel like it would be safe practice to make all pet equipment safe to gnaw on, right? But then again, nobody works for free I suppose...

[insert dramatic sigh here]

Latest posts

Back