chewing metal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PebblesAndAbby

hi i have two chinchillas in the same cage for a few years now. ive had a lava swing in the cage for a few months now and they have plenty of chew toys and ledges to chew but they insist on chewing the metal on the lava swing. should i remove the lava swing? is it dangerous or bad for their teeth if they are chewing metal?
thanks

Chinchillas don't use swings and lava stones can be abrasive for their feet. The perches are designed for birds to ware down on their nails over time. Chinnies have soft little feet that aren't made for standing on surfaces like the lava ledges. I would remove the swing for all of those reasons. Gnawing on metal isn't terrible...mine gnaw on their pans and leave little teeth marks. The only worry would be them breaking their teeth on it if they can get a really good hold on the metal. So, you should take the swing out for peace of mind if nothing else.

i agree with tabitha. i doubt that your chinchilla can break peices off the metal, but he might break his teeth. i didnt know about the lava ledges being bad for their feet, thanks tabitha! im trying to learn as much as possible about chinchillas before i get one (which will be in almost a year) so every new thing i learn helps me to be more prepared.

Latest posts

Back