Chewing/biting...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

So, I got a new lil boy a few months back.
He's very small, he was 9? weeks give or take a few days when I brought him home.
My little guy seems to be turning into quite the chewer.
I just want to run it by you guys and make sure this is normal... I think its mostly just because hes young, but again, I need some insight.

He chews on everything. The bars, the wood, his house, me... With me it started as little nibbles which Buddy does, too, so I figure its him kinda testing me out. But Rocko bites down, whereas buddy just nibbles. I started with just putting my finger on his nose and pushing him lightly back, so he knows I dont like it... but he just presses against my finger. So I tried tapping lightly to catch his attn, which seemed to work for a while, but hes back at it. I don't like blowing in their faces, but I tried that with rocko to discourage, he just ducks away from the air and goes back to biting.
He'll try to squeeze his little nose between the bars of the cage... I don't know why. Sometimes he bites the bars, but not usually, usually he just sticks his face as far through the bars as he can, then, like, runs his nose back and forth between the bars. (Sinus congestion? Lol) If I come nearby, he'll start straining for me, so I thought he wanted me to rub him, but then when I put my hand nearby, he grabs on and chomps down. Lately, Ive been giving him a small stick when he does this, although he has a ton of toys, I even ordered a different variety set from here somewhere to see if perhaps the ones I had just were not his taste. He eats it all, and my fingers for dessert. I thought maybe bc I feed him, he associates my hand with yummies? I try to be very careful and clear when I am giving him treats (right now treats for rocko are only hay and small pieces of wood... I dont think hes supposed to get real treats this young.. right?) as opposed to handling him, by approaching him from a different angle, and only giving him treats through 1 part of the cage.
He's also very skittish when I hold him, but Buddy was too when I first got him, so I figure Rocko's still getting used to me. I try to give him a certain treat when he lets me take him out for a bit, without him biting me... I'm trying to positive reinforcement, but I dont know if that works so young.

Oh, and he sucks at taking baths.
Its hilarious.
it took him a while to figure out how to get into his bathhouse, but even when he did.. He just doesnt have that nice spin-action down that Buddy has... does that develope with age? I mean, he has gotten better, esp since him and Buddy spend more time together. At first, hed just fall over in the dust.. then he'd lay on his side and wiggle.. now he trys to spin but doesnt have the technique down.... does that mean he will continue to get better with practice? .... Is Buddy Teaching him? That'd be awesome.

But I think im done with my ramble... my main concerns are his biting and bathing.. sorry for all the extra! :wacko:

Last edited:
Chinchillas love to chew on everything! they don't know any better, the thing about the finger i have no idea, but they live to chew. For the dust bath, i'm sure they'll figure it out. It may take a little while and if he's still not doing it you can rub some dust on him, it doesn't clean as well as rolling, but it does work. Some chinchillas like to be held most don't..mine will scream if i hold him he's independent i guess. Being prey animals, they are skittish. Post some pictures of them please!

2 peas in a pod...

I don't know the difference between homo and hetero when it comes to chins, but Buddy is the ebony, Rocco is beige? I think thats what you guys told me;)
If I had someone my size that was that fluffy, I'd hanging all over him too...

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
My chinchilla chews through everything!!!! She totally DESTROYED this wicker chair..the ENTIRE back! I think it's pretty normal but annoying and damaging!:impatient:

Latest posts

Back