Chew rate increasing? How much wood do I supply?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocochin

Momma to Ganache :D
So since I've had Ganache, just about two months now, he hasn't been huge on chewing. He eats his hay and everything, but for a while we only had willow chew toys since that's all they stock at our local pet place (petsmart Canada had just about zero chinchilla toys). So when I finally got some good apple wood, loofa chews, lava blocks, and the like into his cage, Ganache was pretty pleased. However, he'll still take about a week or more on any of his chews. He has about five different chew toys at a time, plus he chews his house and ledges so I've figured he's just not that into chewing. But last night I gave him a new type of apple wood and he ate the whole thing over night. So tonight, I give him a new willow stick (the same kind that he used to take 2 weeks to finish) and it was gone in twenty minutes. Like, completely destroyed.
He hasn't been chewing any more on his other items, but should I wait a night or two before giving him another new chew? If he ate one this evening, and he's got his other toys still (most of them are just slightly nibbled, even though it's the same type of wood) should I give him another new one?
I want to make sure he's fully provided for, but at the same time I don't want him to make himself sick by eating like five sticks a day (is that possible?).
Is it normal to decimate chews this quickly? How often should I provide him with new ones if he still has other ones in his cage?
I think I'm over-thinking this a little, but thanks for the input! I was just so shocked when he chomped that willow stick into nothing when it was the same kind that I was convinced he didn't like because he's eat them so slowly. Silly little guy...

You can give him as many chew items as your pocket book can afford, there is no limit. The more he chews the better it is for his teeth. Chins are also crazy in the head!

I only have one chin so it is affordable for me to feed unlimited sticks, hay, and chew toys to my girl. I don't think you can give too much.

Hmm okay thanks! I'll go ahead and give him a new one every night, even if he's still got others around. He likes them and it's good to know it won't hurt him if he scarfs them down. It's easy to worry with their weird little behaviors X)

I asked the same question before, because my chins are big chewers. I give my chins new sticks every night plus I make toys for them. You can easily go broke, but they are worth it! LOL

Yeah now that he's going through a stick every night I've realized I'll need to find a better source for my apple wood in bulk...to the classifieds! Haha.
Since he's so young he actually has never had any treats, although he is clearly starting to see his apple sticks as treats. Pretty good trade off I suppose !

This is why some people refer to chins as little wood chippers. BTW, they don't actually at the sticks and chew toys. They just turn them into splinters and dust.

BTW, they don't actually at the sticks and chew toys. They just turn them into splinters and dust.

Really? Or is that a joke? It's hard to believe that they don't actually eat them!

And I guess I knew that chins were capable of this much chewing, I was just so surprised when he changed his habits so drastically in so little time. I've been giving him a new chew every night and he's been eating it all right away, plus chewing the same amount on his other little toys and things. I have no idea why he decided to change but oh well!

curious gus

Yeah my gus constantly is eating or chewing on his toys especially his wooden hut its his 3rd one in 9 months and he literally eats the whole house until I take it away, he even pushes it down his ramps like hes rearranging furniture hes a trip

BTW, they don't actually at the sticks and chew toys. They just turn them into splinters and dust.

Mochi eats the bark off of her sticks. She chews them and swallows them. I've only seen her shred wood once, and that was a piece of aspen in the litter. Is this bad?

Shredding a piece of litter is not bad; eating it is. I was spacing out over the bark. Yes, some do eat the bark. I give my chins several different types of wood toys and pumice and they all make little toothpicks and dust out of them. They would have serious problems if they ate all the wood I give them.

I guess that's why I was worried, I never realized that he wasn't eating the wood.. I figured downing a stick that quickly had to be bad for his tummy. Now I feel silly cause of course he's not eating it. Ha, well that really clears things up. Thanks everyone!

I buy my wood in bulk online, and periodically give my boys a handful of fresh wood, in fact, I just did tonight. Domovoi the younger one, chews his wood down till there is absolutely nothing left, I have to keep him busy or he'll devour his shelves. The more things to chew the better!

My Pogo is 4months and I can't tell he is a great chewer and that worries me...can u plz tell me if that is normal for his age (it takes him a week to do just one stick) or I should start experimenting with different tastes of sticks?..also I would like to ask if this lava blocks are any good and if it is worth trying them?...and last is chewing coming with age?if yes when I should expect him to get a chewing machine??:hmm:

Back