Check out my awesome water bottle

• Thread starter Classic Chinchillas
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Classic Chinchillas

Last night I was feeding and refilling bottles, went to take this one off and only the top part came off!
3304965783_a77a83c16d.jpg

I have no idea how it could just break like that while on the cage. Carmel is not a very active chin, so I doubt she jumped around enough to break it.
Remember to always have a back up around.

Yikes! I have had issues with those water bottles and the metal rusting and not wanting to come of,,nothing like that though.

Sara.. is this the chin that was in the with the broken dust bath? Maybe she is just a karate chin and you don't know it. :p

Maybe it cracked while washing - I've about 10 of those, time for an inspection! I keep mine on the outside of the cage, though - easier to wrestle with the springs!

Nope she wasn't in the other broken dust house; I guess my chins just have a thing for broken glass, lol. Only it's not so funny. Yeah it was on the outside and not in those really tight springs it came with, maybe that was the problem. But like I said, I hardly ever see that girl jump around at all and her cage is kind of small so it wasn't shaking all over, I will have to make sure the others are not cracked. I haven't had much problems with these bottles anymore than the lixit glass ones that the caps get chewed but I think I'm going to set up my watering system soon.

Wow - I've managed to drop every single one of mine and not had one break yet. Only broken one I had, I didnt see it was cracked at the store (right in the groove where the spring sets). But I returned it the same day & they gave me a full refund.

I love these bottles, but seems like everyone else always has issues with them *shrug*
~Barb~

I use one of these. the only problem i've had is with the spout pulling off; but it goes back in, no problem.

I had that happen with two of those bottles as well... dunno, maybe there's a fault in the glass? No matter, we've now switched completely to Edstroms (and I'm going to miss them when they're gone *cry*). Even without this problem, we're all too clumsy to own glass things with a cement floor....

We switched out from those water bottles to all of the Ryerson kind. I sooooo love the new ones and they are much eaiser to clean.

I've been using one of those for over a year and a half, no issues. Some seem to be very faulty, though. Superpet bottles are not that great anyway. My favorite has always been Lixit, but I wish they'd make a clear plastic one - at least one I can find!

ETA: Is that is 8oz or 16oz size? I've been using the 8.

I must have gotten lucky, I've read a few problems about those bottles but I've had mine for over a year and never had one problem with it. Weird.

I just switched all of my boys to those over this past year. I hope mine don't break. These are the only ones that don't leak on me (I am retarded and cant get the Lixit ones to work properly).

The glass used in those bottles is not safety glass (nor is it tempered, I believe). Once a small chip or crack is formed, the crack will continue growing until it reaches an edge (or itself).
Also, the presence of water accelerates crack growth in glass. Chances are the crack had reached a critical size the night before, and the smallest force sent it over the edge.

I don't think this is cause for too much alarm - while it is startling, it's just something that will happen. I would recommend replacing any chipped or cracked bottles, or at least keeping an eye on them. :)

(I studied crack growth and propagation for my Masters)

Back