Check my set up and thanks to Christine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
Some of you may have seen my recent post in general that after months of preparing I am almost ready to get a Chin. I recieved the new hidey house on a ledge from Christine and some extras.

I know my PVC tubes need covers(having issues with my sewing machine), but how does everything else look. Also I have hanging toys, they just aren't in the cage yet.

003-18.jpg

004-16.jpg

005-12.jpg

006-10.jpg

007-7.jpg

Thanks!

All my animals are spoiled and well cared for. That's a portrait of my dog Khan in the pic to the right of the cage.

I forgot to add. I also have made 5 other liners and a few more hammocks. I am hoping my sewing machine feels like being agreeable on my day off tomorrow so I can get the tube covers sewn up. I have fleece coming out of my ears right now :rofl: so eventually I may try and make hanging house or something.

It's so great you've done so much preparation before getting a chin! The only things I would point out would be, you probably dont want the house to be right over the wheel and that would make for awkward landings. Lots of chins seem to like hanging out up high, so maybe it could go near the top? Also, what is the diameter of your tubes? Those might be outgrown quickly. But really great setup!!

Looks like a great setup! Your chin will be very happy!

Christine makes some great stuff!

Thanks!

I have fleece coming out of my ears right now :rofl: so eventually I may try and make hanging house or something.

Welcome to the life as a fleece hoarder! LOL My husbands words not mine. Gessh, you mean 15-20 different prints makes you hoarder status??
Glad you got your house and like it! Your going to have one spoiled chin, and that's the main goal!

Looks good, I would just add more staggered ledges to prevent falls and stretch something like a large hammock across the middle of the cage to catch a fall that may happen.

Looks good, I would just add more staggered ledges to prevent falls and stretch something like a large hammock across the middle of the cage to catch a fall that may happen.

The shelves are staggered along the sides and the top set of doors. I only put the long one on top and the the cholla on the back wall, but now I am going to move the house up more on the back wall. Since I didn't think about what Amy said about it hanging over the wheel. Should I add more. I just didn't want to put them too close so there was no room to jump.

About 8" between shelves seems to work for my guys. That's just a smidge taller than they are, and easy to measure: It's the same as the distance from your little fingertip to your thumb tip if you stretch your hand out as far as you can (like reaching an octave on a piano). Ideally (when I have more hands to help me install the darn things!) I put one long and two short shelves per half of the cage, with little ones scattered between. Most of my scattered "shelves" are things like tubes, perches, and ledges, though, but the effect is the same: they can catch themselves more easily should they slip at a higher level.

In yours I'd probably add a couple of 24" shelves on the short walls, which will give you more places to put the perches and ledges to break up long distances.

Your liner and hammock look Marvelous! Can't wait to see your tube covers (mine keep popping off!).

Guess who???!!!!!

Attachments

• mosaic1.jpg
    mosaic1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 44
  • mosaic2.jpg
    mosaic2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
Guess who???!!!!!

:hearts:

:dance2:

Aww....she is beautiful!!! I am so excited.

Thanks for the comments everyone and if you hadn't guessed it the pics of the sweet girl Becky posted is my Chin. She will be coming home in May!

I've made a couple changes to the cage and finished up tube covers too. I have a couple more things I want to add hopefully in the next week or so and then I will post more pics.

Latest posts

Back