Chasing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debo326

Less than a week ago I got two 1-year-old chinchillas from someone who didn't really have time to take care of them properly. So they haven't really been handled that much. They're siblings, pretty sure they're the same gender, and probably male but not 100% sure. The first day home they were both pretty scared but the lighter colored one eventually was exploring the cage (a Kaytee ferret home plus, with 5 levels) while the dark one just hid in the bottom corner in the back behind the hut I put in there, frequently making this squeaking noise I'm assuming is a stress noise and darting back and forth across the bottom of the cage sometimes. The next day the light one was taking treats and hay from my hand and coming up to sniff me and even came out of the cage and explored my room for a while, and the dark one still was hiding on the bottom but made it's stress noise a lot less often and only jumped away from me once. The third day I removed the hut in the morning and when I got home from work, both of the chins were up on the 3rd level, so I sat there so the dark one could get comfortable being out of its hiding spot with me there. I ended up pulling an all-nighter consisting of bonding attempts (and probably a few too many treats), chin research, cage cleaning, and the light one took a dust bath. By the end of the night the dark chin was taking treats and hay from my hand and sniffing me just fine. Also, I noticed the light one would sometimes appear to mount the dark one as it had to climb over it to get to the lower floors. The next day wasn't much different but the day after that, I put the hut back in the cage, but in the front, by the door, and eventually the dark one started to consider coming out, and almost made it all the way out once before it darted back inside. The next day (today) I let the light one out, and just did my own thing while keeping an eye on it, and the darker one started to come all the way out of the cage. The light one started to try to mount it a few times which scared the dark one back into the cage, but he kept coming back out pretty soon after. He also finally took his first dust bath since we got him. After a while, the light one was chasing the dark one around pretty fast and they were bouncing off of doors and making squeaking noises that I hadn't really heard before. The light one eventually went back into the cage so I decided to close the door and let the dark one explore without being disturbed by the light one. I also noticed a little bit of fur on the floor, I'm assuming from the dark chin who was being chased. They haven't had any of these issues inside the cage besides a little bit of dominance (I assume) mounting. I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried or should consider buying another cage in case I need to separate them.

Sorry if the post is too long lol but does anyone have any thoughts or advice or reassurances?

I wanted to add: If they are opposite sex, you very likely could have a pregnancy on your hands. Gestation for chinchillas is about 111 days. Give or take a few days. You'll need a baby safe cage. Check out the FAQs for all the information.

Back