Charlie has to go to Critical Care Unit :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching this thread to see how he improved, im so happy to hear he is poooing again! You did a great job, gi issues are tough to deal with and hearing that he's getting better is amazing !
Whisker kisses to little Charlie

Superb news! :clap:

Let's hope this is the beginning of a full recovery for Charlie. Please do keep us posted on his progress - very well done for getting him through so far - it is a testament to your care of him that he's pooping & active. :)

Charlie is eating his hay and some of his pellets. I'm happy to report that he is poo-ing just like a healthy normal chin, lots of poo. Poo size is also normal.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I took Charlie to see another vet last Saturday. The vet said most likely Charlie's obstruction was caused by hair ball, not foreign objects. He said if it was caused by foreign object, Charlie would had been dead by then.
The fact that he is still alive after 6 days, the doctor was pretty sure the obstruction was caused by food or hair ball.
He also said most likely the blockage was not in his intestine but it's in the narrow tube located between his stomach and his intestine.

Based on this diagnose, the doctor told me to give him the following:
- 3 tablets of papaya enzyme 2-3 times per day
- 3 ml of carrot juice 2 times a day
- 3 ml of apple juice 2 times a day
- 3 ml of baby food green beans for 2 times a day.
Of course he still has to take the simethicone every 4 hrs, antibiotic 2 times a day, and pain killer injection 2 times a day. He told me to stop the Lactulose.

The doctor wanted to try this route before having to do surgery. He's pretty sure that Charlie would pull through. Everytime I spoke to him to give him an update, he told me to keep going with the treatment and to give him another update in 12 hours.
So this treatment started on Saturday night, and I noticed 1 poo on Monday evening. Finally at mid-night, he had lots of diarrhea watery poo.
By 6AM this morning, his poo is already started to harden. And by this time, it's pretty much normal consistency.
When I reported about the diarrhea poo, the doctor was not surprise. He said Charlie's digestive system wasn't efficient yet. So he told me to keep going with the papaya enzyme, baby green beans, apple & carrot juice, antibiotic and simethicone.

I felt such a relieve to find a very knowledgeable doctor, a doctor who knows what he's doing and trying to consider what's the safest & best course of action for the animal.
I fully believe that if I hadn't found Dr. Mertz and do what he said, Charlie wouldn't have been with me now.

I hope this thread can help others who's going through the same problem. I know this treatment is not something that others would recommend, but it has been proven to help Charlie.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that he is doing better! I hope your boy continues to get back to normal. I am also glad that you found a good vet. =)

There is no tube between the stomach and small intestine the stomach empties into the small intestine, the path of digestion is stomach, small intestine (made up of two parts, the duodernum and ileum) the cecum, the large intestion and the rectum. Where was the blockage? I am curious since the blockage would have had to travel many feet of digestive tract to exit and usually you would find it.

http://www.chinquest.co.uk/diet2.html

Last edited:
Yes, I'd like to know what this "tube" is as well.

I can see what the other 3 may be used for, but what is the reason behind the carrot juice?

I have been reading this and am so happy for the good news. I sure hope Charlie continues to improve and stays "naughty" for you!

Yes, I'd like to know what this "tube" is as well.

I can see what the other 3 may be used for, but what is the reason behind the carrot juice?

I probably shouldn't say tube, but passage instead. The passage gets narrow before it opens up. That's where the vet suspects where the blockage was.

I'm not sure what is the reason behind carrot juice. I'm going to have to ask him.

When the OP said the narrow passage between the stomach and intestine, that is what is confusing, the intestine actually starts out wider and gets narrow. Not sure where the idea that the blockage was in the intestine if it was actually in the stomach got diagnosed. The whole scenario is not the usual way impactions are diagnosed, dealt with or passed so who knows what happened really.

I am concerned about the use of fruit and vegetable juices. I can see that causing the diarrhea and possibly more problems.

Here's little Charlie...

Charlie.jpg

He's doing really well. Still on antibiotic for the next few days, but the juice and papaya have been suspended since everything is already back to normal.

Oh he's darling! Give him some scritches from me :)

Your willingness to never give up on Charlie is truely the most inspiring thing I've seen in a while. Charlie is one lucky guy to have an owner like you who will never let him down. I'm glad to hear he's doing better.

Back