Charcoal/Ebony

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Charcoals are a very rare mutation but are in the UK. Claire D on here can fill you in on them more as she breeds them.

I'm sure one of the breeders here can fill you in more.

Oh ok thanks. The person that I bought my chinchilla from claimed that he was a charcoal, and that seems highly unlikely now because he was a rescue and we're in California...

They are not the same thing. I will add what I know and I'm sure Claire will be along to tell you more - and to correct me....lol.

As far as I am aware they exsist in the uk and to a small extent in europe. The uk ones are considered to be probably the ones that are most likely to be pure as there are a few dedicated breeders who have very strict polices on breeding only confirmed charcoals where possible. I know 3 breeders and there are I am sure a few more that breed Chars.

In terms of what you see, I was told that they do look different in the fur from each other. Ebonies are a 'shiny' black colour whereas Charcoals are more of a 'matt' finish to the fur and I was told that the fur feels different in texture between the two.

The key difference is the genetic side of things. Ebony is considered to be an accumulative gene. Breeding ebonies over the generations (with the right breeding of course) will produce darker and darker animals. An ebony is considered to be an ebony no matter what. On rare occasions you get white bellied ebony line animals born but normally an ebony will show; even if it's just a case of the white being what they call 'muddy' so not a clear, bright white.

Charcoal is a true recessive colour. You get Charcoals, and you get Charcoal carriers. Char carriers do not show any signs of the Charcoal gene; they have bright white bellies and do not look any different to a non-carrier animal of that colour. So you can get two Char carriers and end up with a Charcoal.

From photos they look similar so it would be easy for someone to look at a picture of a charcoal and say that their Chin was that colour so I can see why it is so often confused.

Even people in the uk need to be careful about saying they have one, as they are so rare even here and I would say that unless you have a pedigree tracing back to a known charcoal breeder than it's hard to say that you have one.

I have a Black Velvet Char carrier here and he looks like a normal Black Velvet. I know he is as I know his breeder (who breeds Chars) and I know that the breeder of the parents of my boy also breeds them and can be trusted. He is a sometime fur chewer so I got him on the understanding that he wouldn't be bred or ever sold as genetically he's valuable (to someone who would breed despite his issues). They are so rare.

I have also heard it said that they tend to be smaller than ebonies (my boy certainly is small but a lovely shape and weight) and that they do tend to breed rather slowly.

That's my understanding of things anyway. :)

There are a ton of names for every color out there primarily used by Back yard breeders and people who just do not know better. I have seen countless RARE CHAMPAIGN chinchilla adds..it is a beige etc

Latest posts

Back