Changing Routine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I know people say chins get used to a set routine and what not, so I try not to change things around on them if I don't have to.

I've always refilled food/water/hay and given a treat between 3:30am - 4am every morning.

However, now I am working 2 jobs and most days I'm at both jobs. So I was thinking about switching the routine and start refilling food/water/hay and giving a treat at 11pm.

how sensitive are they to routine changes?

I'm not convinced mine can tell time personally. But I think you gotta do what you gotta do. I mean what are the chins going to do? Probably beg a little and then get used to it. ;)

Sometimes I do food/water changes at 7pm, sometimes not 'til 1am.

Treats I do whenever.

I don't think my chins have ever really noticed!

I don't have a set time for my routine.
I give fresh food/water as soon as I wake up. It's varies by several hours because I work different shifts, and when I'm off I like to sleep in lol. He doesn't seem bothered by it.

Mine can most definitely tell time. Back when i was living with my dad he got in the habit of giving them a twig when he got home form work each morning. They quickly learned this pattern. But on days he was late, he would come home to find them already there waiting on him. If he was real late, they would stay up waiting as long as they could before falling asleep.

But they can adjust to new routines. Might take a little whole, but they catch on.

In my opinion, they do notice, but it ultimately doesn't matter because they readjust very quickly. They will be comfortable as long as you're doing the best you can and offering them the same quality and quantity of pellets and hays. On a related subject, playtime for me is always dependent on the schedule, but I ensure that everything else they have access to remains the same. Some toys to distract them are also helpful to take their mind off boredom.

Quality of pellets, hay, etc won't change. They will have those items at their disposable at all times. They also always have toys to keep them busy.

I haven't switched their routine just yet as I've been busy and haven't had time to read responses until now. I recently lost 2 pets suddenly, so I'm gonna leave the routine the same for a bit so I can monitor everyone else and not wonder if its routine change or something else.

But thank you all for your responses. I think some of mine will notice and others might not.

Chase will likely notice, as he notices when I don't clean cages in the same order and usually ends up throwing poo at me. lol

As with any other change affecting chinchillas, try and bring the change in slowly over a few days perhaps. My chins normally have bath time around 7.00pm. If For some reason I am later, lots of bouncing can be heard and nine worried faces greet me when I do finally get to them :nono:

Mine notices when I don't come straight home from work, even though he is sleeping, I do greet him and say "hi bunny!" when he's asleep (I know, he's not a bunny, but he's my honey bunny!). I'm sure he hears my keys in the door, so if I come home late, I'm greeted with a face in the front corner of the cage :) then he's like hmph and goes back to sleep.

Latest posts

Back