Change in behavior.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

Hey all,

I've been a lurker for a while and just recently registered on the boards. I just got two new chins about a week and a half ago. They were purchased from a large pet store and had been together for over a year at the store.

They were doing fine and I only had a limited amount of items in their pen (3' wide x 4' long x 5' tall) and they have been very active during different hours of the day / night.

On Saturday I bought them a new bed, it's the fleece pirate ship (Seen here).

Since then they have done nothing but lay in the pirate ship. I will see them out when I enter the room sometimes, but they run back into the ship immediately.

Prior to purchasing the ship they had a wooden house that they slept in / on (this is the top of it):
(this is them sleeping on top of the wooden house).

Jelly appeared to be the more social of the two, as within the first couple of days he was jumping on my hand / arm and allowing me to pet him. Peanut has come around quite a bit as well.

I'm just worried that something is wrong now, as they were much more active prior to the bed, and now they are quite the opposite.

Thanks for the help.
~Richard

im sure they love that new hanging bed. Looks comfey for em! I wouldnt worry to much right away. New items can change behavoir for a while. Its like giving a 5yo a present. When i gave my chinc the custome made hut with fleece pillows, they spent a lot of time in their. And still do. Its become their safe spot. If anything sudden happens thats where they run to.

I wouldnt worry aslong as they are eating, drinking and pooping normally. Dont forget chinnies are day sleepers and are more active at night. They look pretty comfy in their ship :D Just sit by their cage and talk to them, let them get to know you. To me theylook happy in their new home :D

You only bought the pirate bed on saturday. It's tuesday now. I'm sure they are excited about their new bed, so I wouldn't worry about it. If this behavior continues, then I would worry about it.

Btw, that pirate ship is awesome! May I ask where you got it?

They clearly LOVE their new pirate ship! Its like getting a kid a little tent for Christmas and setting it up in his bedroom so he can play with it. Of course he's going to want to sleep every night in the tent for the next two weeks or so because it is so awesome. : D

I got the pirate bed from Petsmart. I've seen them at Petco as well. They are in the ferret section.

Pirate Ship

They seem to love it, I am worried about them falling out of it, which is why we are getting a FN pen soon (and shortly after the chins will have their own room in the house as well).

I'd watch very closely to make sure that they aren't chewing on the pirate ship. I can't see very well, but I think there are exposed threads that they could get a hold of and chew, and those straps that connect it to the cage could also cause impaction if ingested. Not to mention the connectors are plastic.

Just be careful.

There are several issues that I'm concerned about with the pirate ship... The threaded corners, as well as the straps and plastic clips as you pointed out.

There is also a zipper on one side that concerns me, I think when we get the new pen I'll switch up their bed.
Thanks Kimmie!

Yep, I bought that Pirate ship for my PW chin, Pirate. He chewed on the zipper and it has not gone back in the cage since. It was really cute to see him hopping in and out of it, but yeah, it ended up being a waste of money. *Sigh* Such destructive little creatures!

Latest posts

Back