ceramics and thrifting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
Hello Chin-wise world!
I know that there are lots of people who use a variety of miscellaneous items such as terracotta pots and ceramic bowls in their cages, and I was curious if anyone knew if any of the glazes on any ceramics were dangerous and how to tell. I used to help my grandmother with her ceramic work, and I feel like some glazes had lead in them or something else unsafe if ingested. I was thinking abbbout it when looking at the thrift store for 'litter trays' and found this excelllent squarish bowl with an inward scooping rim, but was worried that the glaze or maybe the chip in it could be harmful.
Also, are all baking dishes presumed safe? When thrifting, do you have any specific safe items? I know there were all these cute wood kitchen things (spoons, bread boxes wooden clothes pins) and I passed because I don't know anything about it. How do you shop chin-safe at un-chin stores?

I picked up a lead testing kit from Home Depot. You break the vial inside a dauber and rub it on the ceramic, it will change color if it contains lead.

The lead test kits are what I use too! They are a little pricey but I test one item and if it is okay, I just buy the identical items at the same time.

Back