cautious new owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberrlynnx3

On the 9th I brought home a 2 month old lil chinchilla boy after years of trying to get one! I know the basics and studied as much as I could find on the chins, but yet im still a first time chin parent and I cant help to worry!

So getting to the questions, how often do chins pee? My boy is eatting and pooping fine, and I saw him take a few sips of his water but he hasnt peed since his first hour home? Is that normal? And also he seems to play for 20 mins and then hide/nap for 20 mins, and I figured he gets tired faster because hes a baby, but I still would like to make sure. :)

Sleeping a lot is very normal for young chins, just like babies they need lots of rest. Sometimes when they are nervous in a new environment it may take them a while to pee, just keep monitoring.

Is it possible you are just not seeing him pee? Mine kinda just freeze up for a sec when they pee its not that noticeable until you look at their fleece/litter. Also, I agree with the comment above. Mine took a little while to settle into their new home and start doing everything as normal the way that they do now. Congrats on the new baby!

I wouldn't worry too much about this, although I understand your concern and it's good that you're taking time to observe :] you probably won't notice when the pee comes, the only way I can tell is that my chin is so fussy he HAS to do it in a corner with his tail right in the air :] keep checking whatever you have in your cage for wetness etc :]

Agreeing with the others, you may simply not notice him urinating. :p

After having my chin for a while, I learned caught on to where she went and her usual "rituals" to it all. It only takes a couple seconds for them to go, so it's totally understandable that you might not have caught on to his habits yet.

Congratulations on the new chin!

Back