cats, kittens and chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 cats, a dog and a turtle. Maci and my turtle share a room. I got Maci at the end of May and with the exception of a couple times where one of the cats ran in the door as I was going in the room they have been nowhere near her. The ones that have got in the room didn't really get anywhere near the cage before I scooped them up and put them out. I had the cage set up for a really long time before I got her and at first they were mesmerized by the cage. Then they just ignored it.

I intend to never let them in that room and to have the door shut when I am sleeping or not home. I have considered putting a screen door in as well or making something myself as they could get over the average baby gate, etc. I'd like to have it seem a little more "open" at some point. Yhe room she is in is off my living room. SO it would be nice if I am in there to be a ble to see her or interact....dunno.

Fortunately I keep that door closed (I didn't before I planned on getting Maci), because my turtle got out of her tank a couple weeks ago and injured her shell pretty badly. The damage could have been much worse had my cats had access to her and that room!

Animals are animals, you cannot predict the future behavior based on past experience, if you do you can and will end up with dead animals.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs my cats dont care but my moms Chi-wiener has to guard the chinchillas like they are prisoners my youngest chinchilla touches noses with the dog thinking what are you lol

My cats are scared of the chins. I used to have a 14 year old cat that would show me where the chinchilla that escaped is hiding. He used to sit right in front of the chin and meow 'till I came and caught it.

I have one of those cat horror stories. I have 2 cats and neither of them ever paid any attention to the chins. We also have a hamster and have had a bird and the cats never paid attention to them either. When we first got our chins they lived in my daughters bedroom and we left the door open all the time. One of our chins had babies (very unexpected get got her pg and didn't know).
We had to move her and the babies to a smaller baby proof cage that had a reptile lid on top of it. We were out of town and my mother was watching our animals. I told her to make sure my daughters door was shut when she left because I was worried about the dogs with the smaller cage.
She accidenty locked one of the cats in the bedroom (this cat had NEVER shown any signs of agressivness to any other animal). When she returned the next morning the cat had clawed her way through the lid of the cage and killed the momma. Somehow the babies escaped and were hiding under a blanket under the bed.......they were 11 days old.
That was almost 5 weeks ago and we've been hand feeding the babies to keep them alive every since.
Needless to say......NO animals are allowed in my daughters bedroom anymore.

We have 2 dogs (rat terriers) and 3 cats. No other animal is allowed in my room. The bedroom door is always shut. My chins like it because it's their territory and they know it. My cat on the other doesn't because she can't sleep with me (even though she's never slept with me before). Now that she's older (10 years) all she does is follow me around the house, waiting for me to sit down so she can jump on my lap.

I have 2 cats and the chinchillas, as well as a Dog. I keep the chinchillas completely separate from the other pets. Chinchillas escape at times and Cats and Dogs are preditors no matter how lazy. I can't tell you how many people have had accidents with their pets that "get along great"

I have two cats as well as my chin, I keep them separate and the only time the cats are in the room with my chin is when I'm there. The cats really aren't very interested in the chin anyway, but I still wouldn't trust them.

Had 2 cats before the move, will never have cats again. Love them, yet some cats will think the chins are their dinner. Not all cats are like garfield ;)
Daughter left the chin's room opened and caught the cat on top of the cage ready for dinner. Since then I had to change it to a lockable room, kept the child from entering as she please, but didn't stop the cats from clawing up the carpet. :hair:

I have two cats that were 3 months old when we got them. We have our chinchilla before we got the cats and for the most part they leave him alone. We never have our chin out with the cats and the most the cats do is sniff him or jump on his cage but we correct them and our chin doesn't seem too stressed by it.

Latest posts

Back