Cat Health Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

So I've been noticing that my siamese mix cat has a white nose/white gums/white inside his ears randomly - and it goes away within minutes sometimes and othertimes stays that way for hours. To me this suggests anemia or some other type of circulatory issue. However, he is still as active as ever and eats/drinks like a elephant! He is not an overweight cat and approximately 1 1/2 year old - we adopted from a shelter when he was a kitten.
He is mostly white with muted orange siamese markings and has blue eyes.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows what it may be? I wondering if I should get bloodwork done on him. I'm so confused about why his nose and gums turn ghostly white!
When he was nuetered at 6 months, the vet noted that he had high glucose sugars in his urine, however that could have been due to stress. He had his urine tested recently and the glucose came back on the high level of normal. He did have bladder crystals when we adopted him and after treatment they haven't come back.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Can you think of anything that the paleness is associated with? Activity perhaps?

You say he eats and drinks like an elephant - is this normal for him or is he eating or drinking more than usual? How is the litter box? Do you notice more/bigger urine clumps?

I catch his nose/gums being pale when he is sleeping and when he is active. When I first saw it I thought he might be cold so I held him under my sweater and it seemed to get better, but other times he'll be running around and then jump on my lap and I'll nose a pure white nose - so I'm baffled!
It is normal for him to eat and drink a lot. He loves meal time and him and his bff (Dwight) finish their bowl of food quickly. He has always drank a lot of water. When he was a baby he was obsessed with water which made my vet more suspicious of diabetes, but he is so young and my vet said he usually saw diabetes in old overweight cats and then his urine came back "normal". He doesn't drink as much as when he was a baby, but still drinks more than Dwight (from what I see).
As for the litter box, I really don't monitor it very well. Since he had the bladder crystals when we first got him he is picky about his litter boxes so I have 8 boxes (for 2 cats) with various types of litters. I really don't know which cat created which clump, lol, but when I clean the boxes I haven't noticed any extra large clumps or more of them.
Do you think this could just be normal for him? Do white cats with blue eyes tend to have their noses/gums turn white for no reason? Are siamese cats prone to different blood problems? I find such a variety of answers on the internet :(

From my limited knowledge, it doesn't sound normal to have periodic pale mucous membranes. I also wouldn't think white cats with blue eyes would have any correlation with periodic pale mucous membranes.
If you've only noticed it recently, then I wouldn't think it'd be something normal.
Siamese cats can be prone to dermatological, cardiovascular, and ocular problems, but not many blood disorders that I've heard of. And being a mix would probably go in his favor (hybrid vigor type deal).

Has he been getting tired from activity more quickly recently?

When are his next shots due?

His next shots aren't due until next spring - I brought this up to my vaccination vet, but he blew it off since Whitey has been acting normal. I use a different vet for more complicated issues and I think that I will have to go to her soon to get a blood panel done.
I personally do not feel that it is normal, but my SO thinks I'm overreacting...
If something is truely wrong I would like to find out early so that we can begin treatment.
I haven't noticed him being overly tired, however since he is getting out of the baby stage he has slowed down a bit, but not much.

Latest posts

Back